Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Sketch] A sawmill
- - By Newton [de] Date 2011-05-07 18:46
I came up with these sketches for a sawmill but I am not really content with it. I don't really have a good idea for the "shed"-part (containing at least the motor) of the structure.

The main idea is to have a really big buzz saw supported by beams and propelled by a motor along a belt. This looks cool and removes the necessity to push the tree into the building (through a door that has 1/3rd of the size of the tree ;-)) - the trees are directly sawed on contact and the wood is spit out on the back ("ptui!").

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Parent - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2011-05-07 23:50
Reminds me on this.
Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2011-05-08 00:57
401 polygons

im not sure with the sawtooth. it could look better if we have a texture on a plain disk, and additionally one with some motion blur painted on it for the animations (plus rotating of course)
Attachment: Sawmill.obj (41k)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-05-08 03:10
Looks great! Much better than my sketch! The idea with the motion blurred buzz saw is also cool (cant wait to see it in action)! How does it look from the side (ingame view)?

A few suggestions:
+ The support beams for the saw should be more inclined
+ The saw should be deep or big enough so that it can convincingly saw stuff (bushes?) on the ground
+ make the wheel on which the belt runs a little bit bigger
+ The little pipes look a little odd. I suggest removing them and instead use other "decoration" elements on the sawmill. The tilted flues are already nice. An idea: The box into which the belt goes could have a barred opening in which one can see a little bit of the motor. (Or perhaps just flickering light)
Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2011-05-08 17:31

>+ The support beams for the saw should be more inclined

I removed/reworked them. they would collide with other parts of the structure, also, even more inclining looks weird.

>+ The saw should be deep or big enough so that it can convincingly saw stuff (bushes?) on the ground

I made the blade a bit bigger and moved it down a bit.

>+ make the wheel on which the belt runs a little bit bigger

check

>+ The little pipes look a little odd. I suggest removing them and instead use other "decoration" elements on the sawmill.

Yes, i agree. pipes that simply go into wood are weird.

> An idea: The box into which the belt goes could have a barred opening in which one can see a little bit of the motor. (Or perhaps just flickering light)

I added two gears that move once the sawmill is working.

I also removed some parts and added new.

413 polygons
Attachment: Sawmill.obj - Sawmill V2 (42k)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-05-08 18:16
Why, you did inclince them. The buzzsaw is now IMO already too big. Could you show both the side view and the 3D view?

I liked the (in the rendering) white part being a bit bigger - now the buzzsaw looks very separated from the "machine shed" because they don't really overlap any more. Also, I am still in favour of removing the pipes. If you really want to keep them, you should make them bigger (in diameter) and perhaps immerse them into the structure 50%.
Parent - By MimmoO Date 2011-05-09 13:24
I think I misunderstood you there. I thought you meant to incline the beams in a different direction (so that they spread more). To the rest: I will see what I can do and post the results somewhen in the evening.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-05-09 22:32 Edited 2011-05-09 22:37
I notice the belt attaching to the axle of the saw doesn't actually go around the wheel. If you extended it do so, you could have a separate "belt" texture which's UV map could scroll (via Scene.material) to appear as though the belt was actually spinning.

Then again, the belt is hardly visible at the front perspective. Might not even be worth the trouble.

By the way; the pipes also look better when they are about 2x scaled.
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2011-05-08 15:50
Hm, you could save half of the polys on the saw blade if the teeth's cutting sides are aligned radially.
Parent - By MimmoO Date 2011-05-08 17:27
hm. i dont know if that would look any good, since there would be not real connections between the single sawtooth. this could cause ugly anti-aliasing bugs in the engine i fear
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2011-05-10 07:15 Edited 2011-05-10 07:30
How will it work? 0_o

I mean, I do not see a way for a tree to "approach" that kind of structure and be sawed in halves. From which side the tree comes? Where does it lie on? Where the final "product" come from? (Maybe the reason is the lack of my imagination but the overall structure does not look able-bodied).

Can you make a simple animation showing a tree (plain cilinder) moving towards the sawmill and being "processed" (just to have a brief imagination of how it will look ingame)?

EDIT: On a second look I could develop some thought of how the process could look.

If I am right (I hope so) than you can forget about the animation request :-)

EDIT2: In this case we need some "force" to push(/pull) a tree towards the buzzsaw. It coul be some conveyer or rope system or clonk himself (Just to make overall process look realistic)
Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2011-05-10 11:50
If the blade-jags would be inverted in direction, they could "pull" the tree itself into the machine. Or the two cogs are move some kind of conveyor among the tree.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2011-05-11 06:45
The first suggestion is physically impossible. If we revert the blades then the buzzsaw will indeed pull the tree towards itself. But the tree would not be cut.

Below are the best images I could find. Looks like some kind of puley is used...
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-05-11 12:02

>The first suggestion is physically impossible

I think it is physically impossible that you can climb up a smooth wall without the help of any tools.
When the Clonk collides with a wall he should not start climbing but rather die to make it more realistic and physically possible.

If it was not clear from that: I think we should not care whether something is "pysically possible" (the physics are provided by the Clonk engine, right?) as long as it looks cool :)
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2011-05-11 14:20
Ok, ok...

I remeber a huge discussion about the 'realism' of Jar of Winds. I think we already have enough of that :-)
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-05-11 21:01
"the buzzsaw will indeed pull the tree towards itself. But the tree would not be cut."

Yep. The way a circular saw works, if it is not pushed into the blade it will kick the piece of wood out. This results in many fun accidents of high-school kiddies in woodshop getting falcon-punched by a piece of wood they weren't properly holding onto.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2011-05-10 12:28
That force can be the clonk. Anyway... If we add enough sawdust, noise and stuff we don't need to worry about realism - if it looks cool nobody will care.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2011-05-10 19:47
v- It's more a design sketch than an actual model, but mimmo and ringwaul liked it and asked me to upload it
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2011-05-10 20:37
Watson, I conclude: Too many modellers, too few sketches.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-05-12 21:48
So, will this model be developed further and brought to a final model? Mimmo, what do you say?
Parent - By MimmoO Date 2011-05-12 21:57
i really like and think we should use it
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Sketch] A sawmill