Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Some Concepts
- - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-06-09 01:07
So I finally got to scan the Bomb Launcher concept. Also while waiting to be able to do so, I concepted another clonk. :V

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-06-09 02:37
Wow, I like that sketch! I mean, both sketches! Are you getting better? The more clonk sketches I see from you the more I think the "default" clonk skin should not be the cargo-trousers guy ^^.

Any ideas how to make the bomb launcher look more wacky? - in the sketch, the similarity to one of these hand-miniguns from UT is quite big IMO.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-06-09 02:49 Edited 2011-06-09 03:06

>in the sketch, the similarity to one of these hand-miniguns from UT is quite big IMO.

Hm, never played the game. But I do agree the design isn't so fun. I think maybe for the bomb launcher, what might look better would be a "clonkerized" M79.

As for the quality of the drawings, I'm taking drawing classes as part of my 3D Modelling course; so I guess I need to get better or get left behind, really.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-06-09 05:34

>Hm, never played the game. But I do agree the design isn't so fun. I think maybe for the bomb launcher, what might look better would be a "clonkerized" M79.

Well, we are in Clonk. The grenade launcher could be a pipe with a giant slingshot, for example :)
Parent - - By Gurkenglas [de] Date 2011-06-24 18:41
...crossbow with explosive bolts?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-06-24 19:51
those wouldn't exactly behave like grenades :)
Parent - By MimmoO Date 2011-06-09 16:23
as said in the chat already, i really like the new clonk. those non-transparent glasses make him appear a bit crazy, which is good imo. Though, the tunika he wears looks rather massive, which would look odd on such an agile creature.
Parent - - By Fluff [gb] Date 2011-06-09 17:14 Edited 2011-06-09 17:21
I agree that that clonk looks awesome, but I think it would look a bit odd if there were more than one of them. It just looks a bit too unique.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-06-09 19:40
Hrm. I guess I could always make more! (no promises)
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-06-09 18:23 Edited 2011-06-09 18:31
Well, I suppose it would be appropriate for cold climates, otherwise we might want to drop the scarf. And I really hope that jacket is not meant to be brown? :)

Also not sure whether eye glasses would look good from afar. On the other hand, it did work well enough for the Hazard Clonk. Would be interesting to test whether that's a good alternative to the classic giant eyeballs.

Edit: Also, we could make it Airship Googles or something, to keep with steampunk tradition. We could even make that kind of thing selectable - I still would very much prefer to allow Clonk customization using this kind of gadgetry instead of physicals.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-06-09 19:39 Edited 2011-06-09 19:50

>I suppose it would be appropriate for cold climates,

Yeah, once I had sketched it I really got that impression.

>And I really hope that jacket is not meant to be brown? :)

Dunno, I guess it can be any colour that looks good (though we are using a lot of brown already ^^). Probably would be player-colour, actually.

>Also, we could make it Airship Googles or something, to keep with steampunk tradition.

The only female clonk currently has goggles like that, but up on her head. Of course they could be separated from the mesh and used as an attachment mesh for any clonk (then I'd need to add some more details to that clonk to make her look more unique, haha).

As for customization, I think I'd prefer to keep that low-grade. ~4 well designed characters look much better than customized characters made from an array of pieces from 4 different designs. Take Borderlands and WoW for example. In Borderlands, all characters are immediately recognizable; if there are two of the same character, player-colour differentiates them. In WoW, all characters are immediately-forgettable and none actually look unique in the end because the character-design becomes so contrived it's just depressing.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-06-09 19:53

> though we are using a lot of brown already ^^

Well, I don't think that's a good idea. We want to have mining in the core-gameplay, which means a lot of running around dark brown backgrounds. It could work when we make it bright enough, but I'd prefer if we used something that was compatible to being a bit more colourful. In that sense it would seem like a good idea to go for "wacky" outfits. See Bioshock Infinite - "steampunkish" can be really colorful.

> The only female clonk currently has goggles like that, but up on her head.

Seriously? We define femininity by goggle-wearing? I'm not for importing any stereotypes, but that's unintuitive, to say the least. I'm still for sidestepping the whole issue and have a Clonk that could be anything below its clothing.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-06-09 19:57

> though we are using a lot of brown already ^^
>Well, I don't think that's a good idea.

Erm, that was actually my reasoning for why we shouldn't have more brown. :x

>Seriously? We define femininity by goggle-wearing?

Wait, whoa. I was only saying that we already have goggles in a clonk's design.
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-06-09 20:03
No worries. Just wanted to state the reason why I was against brown in the first place.
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-06-09 19:56
And I'd say the problem with WoW-type armory is that (correct me if I'm wrong) you can't really choose what to wear, but have gameplay dictate your choices to some degree. If we make it without such effects, players are free to design their Clonks for aesthetics.

But well, it's not really sure whether somebody will ever actually implement that... Would actually have been a nice GSoC-level project as well :)
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2011-06-09 22:00
Parent - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2011-06-09 20:52
Reminds on this. /like
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-07-13 14:56 Edited 2011-07-13 14:58
Finally had some time to finish this.

Presumably the red areas would be player colour?
Well, his jacket is tan/off-white, not brown. Hah!

Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-07-13 15:14
Nice! And wouldn't it be acceptable as well to give that jacket a bright color as well?

Also: Nice moustache. Still not sure we would really want to make the Clonk so distinctly male though - still would prefer more neutral looks ;)
Parent - By MimmoO Date 2011-07-13 19:30
except for the specular it looks really awesome. the specular makes it somehow look like plastic all over..
Parent - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2011-07-13 21:15
[x] no moustache
[x] no cyber warp glasses
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2011-07-14 08:04
Very nice!

I'd suggest change glasses to something more regular. He would look like mad scientist though... :-)

P.S. Leave the mustache!!!
Without it he will not look nearly so epic...

P.P.S For others who might argue about more neutral look: we have long ago come to the point where similar look of all clonks does not attract players anymore. We need variety, and variety can be achieved by implementing different models from which player can choose the most suitable one. (So I suggest leaving the guy in camo pants, leaving the girl with pilot goggles and leave this "mad scientist" as well. Maybe even bring back some of the first OC models). I want variety!!!
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-07-14 08:22

>we have long ago come to the point where similar look of all clonks does not attract players anymore.

"players anymore" or "me anymore"? ;)
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2011-07-15 10:22
;)
Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2011-07-14 12:15

>I'd suggest change glasses to something more regular. He would look like mad scientist though... :-)

Hipster glasses much.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-07-14 12:38
WTF is the deal with those glasses? It's all around the internet
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-07-15 23:02
Freeman wore hipster glasses before they were hipster.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2011-07-14 10:33 Edited 2011-07-14 11:57
The hair is nicely done!

1. See Nachtfalter
2. The face of the clonk looks too adult, even with the moustache gone - His face features seem grim and earnest. I think this doesn't fit to the wacky and clunky style of OC. It's like a LotR hobbit with the face of Keanu Reaves from Matrix. So, my tip: Remove the elite-hacker mustache, make the glasses less cyber (how about simple Gandhi-glasses?) and the hardest part - try to make the face more cartoony/young/smooth.
By the way, the same holds for the female clonk model which keeps popping up in my crew :-( ... (and has a male name and voice) - the face looks too adult, IMO.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-10-11 16:04
Btw: Is there any progress on this? Putting the Clonk in a thick jacket is my favorite idea so far, as it lets us get away with making it "fat" and easily noticeable from far away without giving up on the "cartoony" look.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2011-10-11 16:14
What do you mean with progress? Have you tried SetSkin(2) on your clonk? ;)
Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2011-10-19 07:27
has anyone started on the grenade launcher yet?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-10-19 08:21 Edited 2011-10-19 08:24
Nope. We need a better concept design for it. I'm thinking a shoulder mounted steam-pressurizing device, though a catapulting/slingshot mechanism has also been suggested.
Parent - By MimmoO Date 2011-10-19 11:36

>a shoulder mounted steam-pressurizing device

i dont think it should be shoulder mounted, that makes it looks really huge and as if it needs preparation, unlike the sword or musket, which you just pull from out of your pocket and use it. maybe something using springs or slingshots would be more fitting, like a crossbow-cannon-mix.
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2011-10-19 09:30
Sec, we have a teleglove and a 'windbowl', for what do we need the launcher?
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2011-10-19 12:27
For fun
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Some Concepts