Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Controls: Clicking inventory
- - By Sven2 [de] Date 2011-07-16 13:41
I can't find any open controls discussion any more, so I'll put this in a new thread. If I am not mistaken, left-clicking one of the two inventory items does nothing yet. How about this gets routed as a callback (like Activate in CR) to the object?

In particular, I think the shovel could use this to switch digging out materials on or off. I just played OC a bit, and it was really annoying that you would always dig out materials. Other uses might be e.g. spell selection on a magic wand.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-07-16 13:52
How would you name that callback? Switch? Select?

Anyway, in my opinion we don't need that switch/2 extra buttons for the shovel. I propose this:
1. Make digging in earth only produce very little earth (every 3-4 seconds)
2. Earth chunks can be placed into the landscape again as "chunks" instead of thrown into a pile so that they can be used for similar stuff as loam chunks (or can replace them).
This solves the problem of those "instable" earth chunks which break all the time when you are innocently digging down. Or, just make the earth chunks only break on HitSpeed 2.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2011-07-16 15:50
Coming from CR, I would probably call it Activate :P

Earth chunks don't come out often as it is, but it's still annoying e.g. if you want to dig out a flint, but just before you get there you collected a piece of earth. Reducing the dig-out rate would just make it even less predictable, while removing the tactic possibilities of quickly digging out a chunk of earth. We could do some weird stuff like not make them collectible just after they have been dug out. But I feel this is just dirty workarounds for the problem that you didn't want those chunks of earth in the first place.

It's also a possible performance problem in large underground landscapes, when more and more unused objects just lie around.

Replacing loam with earth is a different story. I'm all for it, but it should be possible to switch this off for some scenarios. Otherwise, it would be too easy to solve some riddle scenarios (or: Too hard to design riddle scenarios) with this change.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-07-16 16:16
I think I will change auto-collect to collect on [down], and then also into the backpack. What do you think about that? Or alternatively: auto-collect and if no hand-slot is free, on [down] into backpack.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-07-16 19:16
I can't speak for Sven, but I always wanted that anyway. :)

If we have a shortcut for dropping objects to the ground (we don't, or am I wrong?), this shortcut should use the same hotkey. For example: [Down]+[Click] -> Drop to ground. [Down], Release -> Pick up.
[Down] itself is a bit unpredictable since you may need to use an item while climbing downwards.

We already have a (modifier-)button for throwing away objects. Shift.
What about: [Shift]+Release -> Pick up stuff in front of you, [Shift]+[Down]+[Click] -> Drop Item, [Shift]+[Click] -> Throw away (like it is now?)

I think "you pick up items with [Shift]" will be something every new player understands instantly
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-07-16 19:30
[Down]+[Throw] is for dropping something. I think it so far never worked, but this is Sven's domain ;-)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-07-16 20:58

>[Down]+[Throw] is for dropping something.

And that means that you will drop your shovel when you try to dig into the wall while still climbing down. Needs change! :)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-07-17 13:50
The problem with [Shift] is that IIRC it is only recognized as a modifier, not as an own key. So it is not possible to give commands with shift only. Sven?
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-07-18 22:38
With "Sven?", I mean: "I am not mistaken, am I, Sven?"
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2011-07-19 10:01
I'm pretty sure Shift is not sent as a direct control key, yes. It wouldn't be hard to change, though "Shift+Release" sounds like a really weird combo to me.
Parent - By Gurkenglas [de] Date 2011-07-30 23:48
I think [Down] is not always meant as the S key, but as the direction of the material your clonk is touching (the one that is not used for movement at the moment/the CR classic control stop key). S if falling.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2011-07-16 21:50
Doesn't help much if you want to collect a flint while digging it out, to prevent it from exploding. You could also not collect anything stuck in the ceiling without dropping. A much more straightforward method would be to collect stuff when you do [Use] (left/right click) onto the item you want to collect. Since there is no item in the slot yet, Use isn't doing anything yet. Clicking items to pick them up is also quite intuitive in my opinion. Gamepad users would have to press User A or B and they would pick up the nearest item.

Alternatively, [Use] on the empty slot could open/close it. You don't collect items while the slot is closed. This might be faster than clicking on items, but it's probably not quite as intuitive.

Anyway, it doesn't address the problem: If you always dig out materials, you end up with lots of useless materials lying around everywhere. They annoy me because they clutter the scene. They annoy me because it makes picking up other stuff harder, even if we improve that a bit. They annoy me because I get tumbled when I dig. Is it really too much to ask for a way to not dig out materials if you don't want to?
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2011-07-17 13:52 Edited 2011-07-17 13:56
That would be an idea. However you wouldn't be able to pick up stuff if you already have your hands full and that was my intention.

Regarding the dig-out-request: Yeah, you are right. Either digging out earth should not produce chunks at all or one needs a possibility to switch that.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2011-07-16 19:40
Coming from the land of giving-intuitive-and-meaningful-names, I would probably call the click callback something like "onClick". :V
Parent - By Isilkor Date 2011-07-16 20:21
+1 (we should just name all callbacks consistently OnSomething)
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2011-07-16 20:56
I don't like it, because it doesn't abstract away the method this command is given. What if the control system is later changed to perform these item actions on a key instead? What if it's activated by a gamepad button?

The callback should describe what's being done with the object, not how the user got there. Just like the Use-callbacks aren't named OnClickInLandscape.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2011-07-16 23:11
Well, I think a "click" is a pretty abstract thing. I don't see how pressing a button on a mouse is so much different from pressing a button on a gamepad. The resulting action on the object would still be a "click", wouldn't it?

Also, that way we can at least make clear that it's a callback to a user action. "Activate" sounds like some specific lifecycle-callback to me.
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2011-07-16 23:57
If click is so generic that it can mean anything, it's even worse as a callback name. When you use an object regularly, you also click. That makes OnClick a very bad name, because it doesn't distinguish the action.

Anyway, the point is that clicking is a player user interface action, which belongs into the interface code. The interface converts them into actions, like use, throw, dig, etc. The callback should describe the action.
Parent - By Gurkenglas [de] Date 2011-07-30 23:50
"OnActivation". :V [What does ":V" stand for?]
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2011-07-17 13:54
See Sven2. A meaningful name should not be named after the control but after what it does.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Controls: Clicking inventory