Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / RE: New winch graphics
- - By Newton [de] Date 2011-09-13 23:25
I liked the old winch ("spinwheel") graphics better, for the following reason, very simple: It is identifiable as such and is similar to what one would expect from a winch for portcullis (which is pretty much its application now).

The new one is just a cog wheel sticking out of a wooden box, that the clonk can grab it do open the door is not directly apparent. Additionally, I find the socket(?) on which the winch is standing pretty weird.
In my opinion, the feature the winch should at least have, is, to be, well, a winch . What do you think?
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2011-09-14 00:08
As long as there is no connection like a chain or mechanics, there is no reason that that thing has to look like anything in particular. But we could have the gates hooked up to a chain running into a hole in the wall mysteriously popping up anywhere around the winch...
Parent - By MimmoO Date 2011-09-14 07:43 Edited 2011-09-14 07:54
I actually like this one pretty much. Its just a gear in a box, adding a crank handle would make it looks less steampunky, in my opinion. The neccesary winch-part is simply hidden underneath, in the body of the structure.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-09-14 15:10
Agreed. That thing doesn't look like it would be easy to turn by hand against any kind of resistance (say, raising heavy doors).

Also have I broken the scaler again? o_O
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2011-09-14 16:44
Why again? It never worked good for me. Funnily enough, most/all of those things only occur between mat<->sky
Parent - By MimmoO Date 2011-09-14 17:43

>That thing doesn't look like it would be easy to turn by hand against any kind of resistance (say, raising heavy doors)

if the gears are adjusted right, it could be pretty easy (but you had to turn the main wheel many times)
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-09-14 20:46
I wonder, would it look OK to put a large handcrank on the front? (changing the model so the gear's axle isn't visible)

I liked the idea of a large 'cog' sticking out the top, and the points you make are too true to pass off.
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / RE: New winch graphics