Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Mattias Westlund
- - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2011-10-11 02:45
Surfing around at http://www.jamendo.com I stumbled upon Mattias Westlund and his three Chronicles albums. These are orchestral, instrumental tunes. Maybe a little bit too fantasy / medieval positioned but I like the overall style. We would have 36 compositions to choose from which should be enough for either fast and thrilling melees / competitions or peaceful but nonetheless exciting settlement rounds.

Everything is under CC BY 3.0 so well fit for our needs (although I don't yet understand how jamendo pro comes into play).

We could even contact him and tell him about OC and offer to place a link to his profile for donation.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-10-11 04:32
His music is very reminiscent of the Heroes III (of Might and Magic) soundtrack. Might be too medieval, as you've mentioned.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2011-10-11 22:56
Anyone else has something to say?
Parent - By Maikel Date 2011-10-11 22:59
Yes, I think it's nice music(It didn't annoy me when I listened to it in the background. But it's just a tad too medieval for our current content, on the other hand out of those ~40 songs there must be at least 5 that fit our theme good enough.
Parent - By Günther [de] Date 2011-10-11 23:56
I thought about arguing for "just using some pre-existing free music instead of endlessly waiting around for custom-made music" just a few days ago, so I'm all for it. Depending on the amount of expected churn, we might want to keep the music files out of the main repository to keep that download manageable, but otherwise go for it. Don't bother seeking consensus - everybody who hates the music can turn it off, everybody else will profit from the higher consistency.
Parent - By MimmoO Date 2011-10-12 14:39
sounds really nice. as said already, it sounds rather medieval, but i think that doesnt matter.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-10-12 19:35
This music is used by Battle for Wesnoth.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-10-12 19:39
That only accounts for half the tracks of Chronicles 3.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2011-10-12 19:50
That's a pro or a con?
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2011-10-12 20:13
I think this is a con because people, inclusively me, are associating this music with (the art and style of) wesnoth already.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2011-10-13 00:30
Well, the overall feedback was positive even though some of the tracks of Chronicles III are used for Wesnoth.

This is my proposal for two playlists, two different moods:

Melee:

Ambuscade (III)
Blood Winter (I)
Barbarian Host (I)
Desert Chase (II)
Heroes (II)
Before the Battle (II)

Settlement:

Gwendolyn (I)
Springtime (II)
Silver Tree (III)
The Death of Magic (I)
Gol Ashamdir (II)

Complain now or demand changes. Otherwise I will see to include the music. The only other option for OC is to remain silent.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2011-10-13 00:35
By the way, none of these is used in Wesnoth.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-10-13 01:05 Edited 2011-10-13 01:19
I think "The Death of Magic" should be replaced by "Travelling Minstrels (III)". The former sounds like a funeral dirge (unsurprisingly).

Edit: Also, I'd like to see 'Over the Northern Mountains' for melee. That was definitely my favourite from Chronicles II.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2011-10-13 09:30
Both these songs are in battle of wesnoth though.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-10-13 12:40
Have you contacted him? Even if we aren't required to, it's probably the polite thing to do. If he ignores us, we can always go ahead anyway.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2011-10-13 13:56
Yes, I've written him a private message at jamendo.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2011-10-13 20:39
Uff, thank you for the selection - but I don't like the tracks very much.

Note, that I've actually finished some OC tracks for settlement earlier this year on paper. Unfortunately my arranging skills are still not that good - so I'm still in "can't promise anything" mood, but well I shall produce something for the sake of trying not taking this tracks.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2011-10-13 20:43
There's nothing wrong if later we get some other music or just more tracks. So just because we now take this doesn't mean you must insta stop your work.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2011-10-14 07:23
Of course not, but well taking just some random music into the game feels like well comitting a sin to me. On the other hand it shows that it must feel rather urgent to have some music.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2011-10-14 07:47 Edited 2011-10-14 13:01

> random music

Don't be under the misconception that I took this music by random just because you don't like it. I had a look around at jamendo to search for music which I find fitting, I tested it in the game if it is annoying or if it is radiates the wrong mood and I had some chats with the people in #openclonk-dev to pretest if there is anyone liking it as well. I wouldn't call this 'random'.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2011-10-14 12:49
Rude of me, I'm sorry. Thanks for your effort.
The music itself is not bad at all (infact I'm listening to medieval shaped music a lot), but well you know - it may be far too much medieval shaped - it just feels very wrong in clonk.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2011-10-14 14:42
Well, this is of course a valid opinion. There is the option to just turn the music off (or in case we provide it in the form of a seperate package - don't download it). Music is always a voluntary choice of the player.
But since there are some people who like the music, even in OC, I'd suggest to take it because it is better than nothing. And we had nothing for more than 2 years now and I don't see any change ahead.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2011-10-13 23:27
Personally I still think this doesn't fit at all. I'll look through jamendo a bit in the next days if I find something to make a counter-proposal.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2011-10-15 04:37
I have received an answer from Mattias:

Hi Felix,

I'm glad you like my music, thanks. And yes you're right, you may use the Chronicles tracks without going through Jamendo Pro, which is used for licensing music for commercial games. I have no objections so go right ahead!

You should be aware though that several tracks from Chronicles III have been used in other open source games (Battle for Wesnoth, SilverTree RPG), maybe not a big deal but something to think about.

You know, I wouldn't be averse to the idea of writing some original music for your game (for free, of course), but I'm not going to make any promises at this point. Between work, kid and other musical commitments my time is limited. Just out of curiosity, exactly what type of music would you like to have if you could choose anything you want?

Cheers,

Mattias

I answered so far that our game is somewhat steampunkish (I know this isn't precisely what it is but the way to give a notion). This is a vague proposal and maybe he won't find any time to compose anything but it is nonetheless a great opportunity for ourselves to make up our minds what type of music we'd like to see in OC.
Parent - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2011-10-15 05:50
I like that answer!
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2011-10-15 15:06
I've ran through some youtube videos to get a notion of what steampunk "sounds like". These may give you some inspiration too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCULtagYBDI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4eshdFCpOQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiAfvmDKS1M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5vmF08CAaY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULzDJTo1zNw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnaphJb5jQg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s28VGuPpsfc

Heavy use of stringed bowed instruments (violins, celli, double bass), very dark and martial tunes. Making bright tunes is the hardest, I think. Higher tunes are  sometimes bell sounds or clarinets.
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2011-10-15 15:22
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2011-10-15 17:32
Hey nice - like them, reminds me of anime and game music with similar sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zGqN8turcA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP36VNWcpyU for example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqBIQP5MjP4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThOriefCVdo&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL097C6F750446F3BF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwPDq3itfC8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVUXR6AD2iI

On second thought, two steampunkish stories :o

Hm, but the overall sound of that steampunkush sound is really epic (too epic for a game without a bigger storyline, and only small scenarios). But perhaps it's not that of a big deal, if arranged smoothly.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-10-15 18:55
Hey, FMA! :)
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-10-15 18:53
Don't forget Airship Pirate! ;)

While the vocals aren't indicative of ambient music, that song is the epitome of steampunk music.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-10-15 21:07 Edited 2011-10-15 21:13

> Heavy use of stringed bowed instruments (violins, celli, double bass), very dark and martial tunes. Making bright tunes is the hardest, I think. Higher tunes are  sometimes bell sounds or clarinets.

Yeah, instrument-wise one could go into that direction.

The "steampunkish" music that I listened to from the various posts here so far don't really convince me to be a Vorbild for OC game music: Most of the music is too epic (in the sense ala described) and sounds a little bit darkish/pessimistic. These metallic tones fit good to a steampunk world where gears are rattling everywhere, pistons going forth and back, steam is being released etc. everywhere in a big city that acts like a huge machinery - a mix of utopia and distopia. But this is not exactly Clonk. It's not a steampunk world, it's just what the clonks build.
I imagine a more optimistic "lets build something, but there are dangers to overcome" kind of music where a catchy tune is the most important thing which could be refined by carefully adding some elements/instruments that convey the steam/clockpunkish influence.

I already said in the chat that it is great that Mattias offered to perhaps even create music for us! But I have my problems describing what style of music I'd even prefer. So far I only said what I think would not fit (epicness, medieval/fantasy/fairytale). I searched through jamendo but was not too successful to find something that would fit very well. But anyway, here is what I got:

Stealth begets... by Realism Stealth Warrior - Downtempo soundtrack
neutral - might fit well for normal settlement play - with drums, bass and e-guitar

Home by Jahzzar - Instrumental soundtrack
a few catchy tunes which might also fit good for normal settlement play. Imagine "Self-Portrait" as the menu-startup-music.

Folk & Acoustic by Löhstana David
some really catchy tunes :-) (also have a look at the other albums) - folk, accoustic guitar

TOURBILLONS (Single) by CHRISS ONAC - Symphonique classique classic Orchestral
(while they are too epic themselves for OC IMO) these are good examples for instruments that could fit very well
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2011-10-15 21:48

> I imagine a more optimistic "lets build something, but there are dangers to overcome" kind of music where a catchy tune is the most important thing which could be refined by carefully adding some elements/instruments that convey the steam/clockpunkish influence.

'adventurous' may be the term we're looking for.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-10-16 00:44

>Imagine "Self-Portrait" as the menu-startup-music.

I like it!
- - By West [se] Date 2011-10-15 21:56
Hey guys, just wanted to pop in and say hi.

Like I said to Clonkonaut, I'm not making any promises. I don't have a lot of free time and I simply can not say at this point whether I'll be able to provide any music for the game (and even if I manage to compose something, there's no guarantee you'll like it). But the thing is, I've been stuck in a creative rut for over a year and I feel that I need to do something different. And OpenClonk looks like a good opportunity for me to move outside the orchestral box I feel stuck in.

Newton is right, grand orchestral epicness doesn't really seem fitting for the game -- judging from the gameplay movie at least, I haven't played the game yet. I picture something a bit more lighthearted, certainly with some orchestral elements but also synths, percussion loops and stuff like that. I might add that if cinematic orchestral music is what you want I'm going to have to pass, as I have my hands full with that style already (and, as mentioned, I also need a break from it).

Maybe I could try and write a short snippet of music and run it by you, and then we'll discuss where to go from there?

/Mattias
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-10-15 22:36
Oh wow, hello Mattias

Great to welcome you here in the forum. :-)

And great to hear that you perhaps even want to compose something for the game and seek to have a break from cinematic orchestral music. As I said already, I think this style wouldn't fit too much to the gameplay.
I really don't know how the process of making-music works, but your suggestion sound reasonable.

But why don't you have a go at the game first to get an impression? If you search for other online players (and don't find any games in the lobby), you could join #openclonk on irc.euirc.net. Except for the tutorial- and a few cooperative- missions, the game is still pretty much a competitive arena-style kind of game.
However, this is subject to change because apart from the "melee" aspect, the game actually has a rather big settlement/mining-aspect which is seen by many (inclusively me) as what defines Clonk as a game. It is currently being worked on heavily (with Clonkonaut as lead developer). Granted, it's hard to get an impression of this because all of this is not really playable yet and there are no screenshots of it (or are there? Clonkonaut, Ringwaul, Maikel?).

In case you wonder why I am talking about supposed parts of the game which define the game but do not exist yet: OpenClonk is the (open source) successor of the Clonk-shareware-series. For OC, we threw overboard the complete game content of the previous version to have more freedom to do a proper redesign of what we conceive are the true strengths of the game. So, OC as a game is still pretty similar to the shareware series - of course amongst other things the art style is different now.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2011-10-15 23:58

> or are there? Clonkonaut, Ringwaul, Maikel?

Nothing presentable which could give someone a good notion.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2011-10-15 23:59
Well, hello there :) Nice that you came here. This will of course make the communication easier!

As Newton said, Clonk probably needs something casual, a less epic style of music.
- - By Anonymous [se] Date 2011-10-16 19:58
I'm afraid I'm not a big fan of multiplayer anymore -- after playing various MMORPG's for several years I've lost pretty much all desire to play with other people :P -- but I'll definitely have a look at the game.

In the meantime, here's a short experimental clip. I'm guessing it might be a little too dark and sci fi-sounding.
Parent - - By West [se] Date 2011-10-16 19:59
Oops, I wasn't logged in. :)
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-10-16 20:36
Sounds nice. :D

The first instrument to play (must be a synth?) does make it sound kinda cyberpunk. Perhaps some low tempo violins?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-10-16 21:32
Great that you are motivated to have a look at OpenClonk!

The next big milestone for OpenClonk is the settlement - so even if you don't like multiplayer the next big release (yet-too-come™) should hopefully satisfy every player who prefers campaigns and missions or just relaxed digging-around in huge landscapes, mining and building a bit of this and that, as well :)
Parent - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2011-10-16 23:06

>In the meantime, here's a short experimental clip. I'm guessing it might be a little too dark and sci fi-sounding.

Pretty good! But I cannot claim that OC is steampunkish enough for this music.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2011-10-17 23:57

> I'm guessing it might be a little too dark and sci fi-sounding.

Yes, I also think so: The instrument(?) at the beginning sounds too sci-fi.

The orchestral(?)* music that comes into play later sounds really good and might fit for melee and parkour action. However, with this music I imagine something a bit more heroic/big happening than how the actual gameplay looks like: I know this is probably all highly up to each own imagination but for me it sounds like perhaps the enemies are lining up against each other, preparing for battle - or several players are climbing up a ledge in perfect teamwork, avoiding falling rocks and other dangers. I think, Clonk is smaller than that, less heroic. This kind of music perfectly fits for trailers and alike such as the one on the main page, though.

* I am really bad at identifying and naming instruments in music
- By West [se] Date 2011-10-19 22:31
All valid points, this *does* sound more like cyberpunk/Unreal type music. Hmm, let's see if I can come up with something else.

/me files idea away for possible future use :)
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Mattias Westlund