Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Concept Art from Ringwaul
- - By Sidewinder [ca] Date 2011-10-13 06:58
Ringwaul is forcing me to develop some street cred, even though I have no street nor credit in sight. I was bribed to scan these pictures for the Art Workshop, and now I present them to you. Do what you will with them.

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-10-13 07:20
The second image is a design of Newton's requested fisherman clonk (perhaps his head is leaning too far forward, but ah well. It describes the design well enough :] ).
Parent - - By boni [at] Date 2011-10-13 09:01
Seeing how we're aiming at a more clockpunk-ish style(?) with OC, I'd LOVE to see some kind of spinning cogs n stuff at the windmill (like. in the middle there. There could be 2 huge cogs coming out of the st. Maybe also at the stucco).
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-10-13 09:29
I think I could fit a gear under the main axle of the windmill. I don't want to overwhelm the design with massive, external gears though.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2011-10-13 11:37
Please bear in mind that randomly adding mechanical parts doesn't (necessarily) make a nice design. There should at least be some sense behind it.
Parent - - By boni [at] Date 2011-10-13 15:53
How do gears in a windmill NOT make sense? :(
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2011-10-13 17:41
:-)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-10-13 17:54
I agree with matthi but I also agree with you. The keyword you put is "in a windmill". The entire structure should not be a skeleton with every inner cog and axle visible; that is visually over-encumbering and not nice to look at. However, I clearly did make a mistake of not adding any gears to the design at all; one or two spinning cogs at the top of the tower (moving in synch with the fan) is a good idea.
Parent - By boni [at] Date 2011-10-14 13:56
That's exactly what I proposed. Or rather waned to, if it didn't sound like that. :I
Parent - By Matthias [de] Date 2011-10-13 11:33
I think he should be carrying a brailer, and flashers dangling from his hat.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-10-13 15:55
Hm, this concept art seems to assume that the windmill is actually going to be used to mill stuff? Wasn't it planned as an energy source, primarily?
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2011-10-13 15:59
The Windmill and the Wind Generator are two different buildings. (Mill in the DD)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-10-13 17:22
I put forward the Wind Generator should be renamed the "Wind Turbine". It will make people think of these.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2011-10-13 18:11
Hm, Wind Turbine sounds a little bit too modern to me :)
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2011-10-13 18:14
Just to give some more input: The current development of settlement neglect energy producers at all. So no decisions in this direction are made.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-10-13 17:58
Wow, they look really good!

Some comments regarding the fisherman:
+ a southwester looks a bit different than on your sketch: Usually, the front half is flipped to the top so that if it rains, all the water flows down behind you, not in front of your face. Some examples for shape: 1, 2, 3
+ an important feature of an oilskin is this kind of large wrap on the shoulders to protect from rain, see here. I think this also looks cool and steampunky :-P
+ the lower part of the oilskin looks odd. Perhaps just make his gumboots bigger/higher and the coat reach down lower so that one can't even see the trousers
+ I don't like the anime-boy like look of his face too much. Or well, at least it doesn't fit so much in the style that I was imagining for OC so far.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-10-13 19:06
Redrew large portions in GIMP based off your critique:

Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2011-10-13 21:27
Redrew really small portions in MyPaint based off my imagination.
I added stuff to the hat, a belt to protect the coat from wind, and a fish net to put under the fish. I also messed around with the face because his huge cheeks seemed odd to me, but I probably made it worse :-)

Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2011-10-13 22:31
Oh, you too? Now I have to post my drawings too :-P

Parent - - By Fluff [gb] Date 2011-10-13 18:41
For some reason I feel that the fisherman should subtly fish-like. And/or have a beard. Beards are good too.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-10-13 18:50

>And/or have a beard.

Newton made it very clear in IRC he wanted no beard. ;)
(Considering every fisherman in paintings is old and has a beard)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-10-13 20:23
"Very clear?" I just think it wouldn't fit, but you could give it a try of course.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-10-13 20:53
Perhaps I put too much emphasis on that. I meant to write you did undoubtedly say "no beard".

Also, I find when I do add a beard it becomes too stereotypical for my tastes. If he has some special facial features, I think it would be better for them to be unique...
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2011-10-14 08:28
No... (or, rather "!!!")
His face is too young to have (such) a beard
Parent - By boni [at] Date 2011-10-14 14:02

He needs an Octopus-beard!

But for real, a nice stubble-beard might fit him. He surely doesn't have time to shave every day!
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Concept Art from Ringwaul