Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / For a Few Polys More
- - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-10-15 10:02 Edited 2011-10-15 10:09
...can make a startling difference. I retopologized the face, since when I first made this I didn't know how to use edge loops properly.

I was so pleased with the immediate improvement I thought I'd share. :)
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2011-10-15 11:03
Mmmmmmonster Boots! Yeah that feels like a woman.

Hm but still there's something wrong with the trousers-boot combination, but I don't know what - the upper body part ist perfect.

Nice job.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-10-15 13:55

>there's something wrong with the trousers-boot combination

I think I might know what looks odd about it:
  • cause the boots are so high, the supposed location of the knees would be still in the boots (at the top). Given that one wouldn't expect that, the upper leg looks too short. Wider Stulpenstiefel or a little less high boots could help.
  • it looks odd that the trousers start off to be skintight but just above the boots, they seem to be loose-fit even though the the trousers at that point are not wider
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-10-16 05:53
I'd definitely like to sit down and remodel the lower body, I was never really happy with how it looked. However, considering there is plenty of settlement related art to finish this may take a while to be redone.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-10-15 13:57
Cool! Do you have before-after-shots?
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-10-15 18:28
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-10-15 17:00
Well, coming back to my earlier criticism: Could you post screenshots from the side, with around 80 pixels height, without antialiasing? This looks really nice, but it's really hard to see whether this will be a good Clonk model in-game.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-10-15 18:33 Edited 2011-10-15 18:39
By the way, while the face doesn't seem noticeable at all here, both myself and boni noticed this beforehand in game. The exact poly difference between the models is +202 polygons, all of which were used in the face.
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-10-16 00:53
Hm, she has no eyes from the side :)
Parent - - By pluto [de] Date 2011-10-19 19:32
I don't understand those two Floodlamps at her neck. She doesn't look like a miner, does she?
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2011-10-19 19:52 Edited 2011-10-19 19:57
These are no lamps but welding or pilot's goggles.

/e
On a second thought, these are welding goggles. Commonly used steampunk accessory: horribly long url
Parent - - By pluto [de] Date 2011-10-19 19:44
And what I recognized while I watched a Game when I met Zapper last Weekend: it looks a bit stupid if the clonks are too detailed. It seems strange if there are 4 characters of the sort X, wearing the same accessoires, belts, bags, Lamps, whatever...  and 3 of the sort Y and so on...

Remember: Clonk Rage used a simple trick against this problem: each clonk wears this weird undetailed suit. they were buyable clones or sth.

those little individual characters in open clonk are weird if there are more then one of each mesh.
I could imagine i had less problems if those guys wouldn't have that many decoration stuff...
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-10-20 00:01

>It seems strange if there are 4 characters of the sort X, wearing the same accessoires, belts, bags, Lamps, whatever...  and 3 of the sort Y and so on...

We're in the process of making more; the fisher-clonk is the next in line. I estimate that by the time we're "finished" settlement, we'll likely have 6.

>each clonk wears this weird undetailed suit.

Since higher resolutions are standard nowadays, having undetailed suits looks boring.
Parent - - By pluto [de] Date 2011-11-21 21:22
I like the minimalistic clonk more then those strange detail-clones :(
Parent - - By Anonymous [nl] Date 2011-11-24 21:47
i would also prefer something less realistic and more minimalistic/styled.
I am playing the rayman origins  and its simply stunning how beautiful colorful 2d graphics can look like without the need of thousands of polygons...
Parent - - By boni [at] Date 2011-11-27 17:11
That comparison is kinda empty, considering that Rayman are designed 2D levels and don't have to work a dynamically built levels as well. ;)
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-11-27 18:10
What has static level design to do with how detailed the models are?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-11-27 22:10
Am I remembering something incorrectly or wasn't Rayman Origins using sprites anyways?
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2011-11-27 22:51
For the record, Rayman 2 looked better anyway.
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / For a Few Polys More