Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Where is OpenClonk headed?
- - By tr0ubl3mak3r [us] Date 2011-12-28 21:20 Edited 2011-12-28 21:24
Heya people.  I'm an old fan of the original Clonk series, from the first clonk game released actually.  But through the years, I was always put off by the controls.  It just felt clunky.  But I always found my way back.

Just a few days ago chilling over the holidays, I found this new thing OpenClonk.  Very intrigued, I immediately downloaded it and checked it out.  I found a new awesome control set, very natural feeling and fun to play.  But I also found that this game is in no way, Clonk.  At least yet.  As others have posted, the current parkouring and deathmatching is handled beautifully, but is fun for only about 1 sitting.  And this is coming from an old Liero fan, so I understand the concept.

But this new OpenClonk setup/engine shows so much promise.  I've read very old posts saying that this game is toying around with the idea of building structures, mining, researching, all that good stuff like the classics.  I'm new to this scene and haven't found any definite answers anywhere...  is this still a possible direction for OpenClonk to go in?  I sincerely hope so.  I would love to see Clonk reborn with more modern gamers in mind.  And in today's gaming, with games like Terraria being extremely popular, OpenClonk + build/mine/research mode would have a huge fan base.

Please share your knowledge or thoughts with this curious gamer. :)

Edit: My bad, apparently a post I had missed from yesterday asked basically the same thing and was confirmed as a future plan.  Which is great news!  I wonder how progress is coming along..
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2011-12-28 23:07

>Edit: My bad, apparently a post I had missed from yesterday asked basically the same thing and was confirmed as a future plan.  Which is great news!  I wonder how progress is coming along..

As far as I perceived it, development was stuttering a little in the past 1 or 2 months, but currently the OpenClonk Meeting is running, so I can't predict anything.
I want to hint you to the Settlement Design Document and maybe to this thread http://forum.openclonk.org/topic_show.pl?pid=14698
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-12-28 23:34
"Future plan"? Or even: Work in progress!
A very simple goldmine might be playable by the end of the week! (Or maybe even today, but I am not sure how motivated everyone still is. Might just play some boardgames too. Also Guenther an ck are hunting some desyncs now!)

/off from the OCM, we still got cake
- - By tr0ubl3mak3r [us] Date 2011-12-29 19:20
Ah.  Very cool, thanks for the fast responses.  I'll definitely be watching this project.

Just curious, is this project in need of outside help in any way?  Testers, scripters, etc?
Parent - By Günther [de] Date 2011-12-29 19:23

> Just curious, is this project in need of outside help in any way?  Testers, scripters, etc?

Always. Even if we had enough help (which we don't), we can always add or improve scenarios.
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Where is OpenClonk headed?