Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic So I played OC this evening

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Matthias
So, I juggled a few quick ideas with Zapper today, here's what came out of it:

I want to make the backpack slots accessible via number buttons. Those are currently used to access objects in the landscape, but seeing how managing items happens a whole lot more often than having more than one chest in one place (especially in melees, where speed matters), I'd leave the object access to the spacebar and rather implement the following:
- pressing a [number] key changes the left hand item with the according backpack slot.
- pressing SHIFT-[number] key changes the right hand item with the according backpack slot.
- when in a content menu as, for example, the chest, hovering over an item and hitting STRG-[number] switches the hovered chest item and according backpack item.

We also thought that this works even better with a permanent display of the backpack somewhere, which you already proposed.

I predict some "Oh noo, even more buttons"-reactions to this, so I want to stress that this is merely a first idea. I don't like it completely yet myself, because we'd still have different controls for content objects, the backpack and the hand slots. To put Items from the hand slots to a chest, you'd still have to click.

Except for the number keys - which are not really used until now - all of this would only be an extension of the current system. You could still use the system as you do currently, so it might be worth a try.

To simplify this some more, we could (and, in the long run, really should) try to think of ways to treat hand slots and backpack exactly the same. Then, we could use the same controls for every contents menu. The most simple way I can think of is to keep all items - including the equipped ones - in the backpack, but this might not be the silver bullet just yet.