Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic First thoughts about a magic system

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to ala
We should devide the different questions:

1. Control design
2. Interaction with the current gameplay?
3. Spell design and balancing

Although I enjoy casting spells, magic and all of it it doesn't fit the current gameplay.
The CR Mages are like super powerful hero fighters, more like Street Fighter or Cartoon heroes. I would divide this hero concept from the rest of the game like Hazard is divided from the Rest of CR. It simply doesn't fit.

There are different kinds of spells. And not all the kinds fit the gameplay. There are some of them like "Wind" or "Building a bridge" or a "Temporary Tunnel" or a "Earthquake", which act like powerful multisuable tools in OC and we should try to think with them like with tools. Tools are especially week in OC currently, so the abilities of a tool user could match a simple spellcaster.

Others are like items, like arrows, projectiles or like a bread which heals the user. But usable several times as well.

Powerfightning mages could be build but should not interfere with the normal system, and in fact they don't do in CR as well.