Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic First thoughts about a magic system

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Zapper
Well, my plan currently would be:

Leave the magic system for the settlement scenarios open until we really "need" magic, since magic in settlement scenarios would be there to improve the fun when playing those settlement scenarios. And I do not know whether we really need magic for that (or can replace it with tools).

Build a magic-combat-only magic system (menu (interface) and spells) and put it outside of Objects.c4d into Magic.c4d for example, so that it does not interfere with the settlement stuff at all - with the aim that it does not have to be balanced for settling, but can be completely aimed for fast paced magic melee (parallel with the current melee-only OC and hopefully being able to get the magic-only CR players to OC).
Why "we" (whoever wants to join) should do that is the following reason, that I also mentioned before: There will be combat magic in OC at some point. And the last thing we would want is that every community created magic package ships a new interface for casting spells. And therefore we can as well do that ourselves and ship OC with a decent magic interface + balanced spells - even if they do not fit into the settlement stuff that will be one of the next milestones.