Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Transport, pathfinding and automation: boosters & cable cars

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Clonkonaut
I don't see the real advantage except for no visible path the lorry takes. Let me elaborate this.
As Newton mentioned, 'cable car' is a better association of the idea. I, as well, never wanted the player to construct 'rails' part by part. You drag a line, build a crossing and there it is (in case of buildings you don't need the crossing because every building should be a crossing itself.
So here is the comparison of your and mine suggestion:
Example situation:
Two buildings, flat landscape in between.

Boosters
You construct a booster in front of the building, then open some kind of direction picking menu (or it's a grab&click option or whatever, but something you have to adjust manually) and after that the strength menu (alternatively every booster has the same strength which may not fit every wanted situation).
You walk to the second building, do the same stuff.
Or you adapt the 'every building is a crossing' idea: the booster is preinstalled in the building. (well, I personally don't want the player to have this possibility out of the box, so it turns out like an upgrade option, see below)
The installation part (direction, strength) is still needed. The dual function of the buildings allows you have some kind of visualisation of the lorry dropping stuff (otherwise it just passes by, leaving the stuff there by teleportation magic) and after that returning.

Problems I see:
- booster strength is trial'n'error
- develop the example: you want the lorry to pass the first building and drive to a second one. Now returning the lorry becomes a little bit tricky. Either you have to create a new tunnel where the lorry returns which at best needs two boosters and one bumper or the central building needs to distinct the cases: lorry comes in from the left? -> Send it to the right, lorry comes in from the right? -> Send it to the left
- add a third way and you are lost in options

This is how I understand your idea, correct me if I'm wrong.

Cable car / rail (I will abandon this term, because it's obsolete)
You forge a cable kit (roller or whatever). Or do you want to skip this part? Just take one metal and your hammer, stand in front of your building and select 'construct cable' skipping the production part.
The see below explanation: the building is a crossing from the beginning but it lacks of a cable. To develop your production you have at least provide the cable. This gives you the real impression of progress in your settlement and not a 'everything is possible from the beginning' game.
Drag your cable to the other building, connect, done.

Connect the second building the same way. When starting the lorry you select the target, it drives off and returns with no problem.

Okay, so far until now. I have written so much about this easy examples, I don't start with splitting ways up and down etc.