Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Health Bar

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Newton
Hmm, IMO it would be the better solution to offer an interface for object packs (like a magic pack) to create it's own bar and make the "magic" physical a property ...but well that's not so important I guess. Any opinions on this?

> what especially dont you like about the current layout/positioning?

The backpack and tubes don't fit together very well. The backpack just "floats" in the corner and has a different visual style than the tubes. I can think of four ways to improve the design:

1. change the perspective of the backpack so that not (just) the belts are overlapping with the tube. I think a perspective like the shield in the above screenshot would be more fitting. Also, there is no padding between the tubes and the screen border, perhaps it could look good if the backpack is enlarged too so that there is no padding between the screen and the backpack (and thus parts of the backpack are not shown)
2. The transparent black circles do not fit anymore with the new design. Especially on the backpack. I think you should either remove them altogether or replace them with something that fits better. (A glass ball in the style of the tube glass? hmm, don't know...)
3. With the brass plates replacing the transparent black rectangles in the action bar, it looks odd IMO if the items shown are not completely enclosed by the brass plates. For the black rectangles it looked good but for the brass plates, dunno. Also, since the hand items are actually a pretty important element in the HUD, I'd just make them bigger. Also, the extra slot display should be changed into the brass style. Did you know that you can drag and drop the stuff in the extra slot? It could be a slightly darker indentation/panel ("Vertiefung") in the brass plate. Additionally, for better visibility I'd add a slight shadow to the items shown in the hand slot (=just make the plate background a bit darker in the middle). Also, there is a padding between the border of the screen and the brass plates. It might be worth a try to redesign them in a way that they stick out from the bottom of the screen like the tubes do.
Edit: 4. Now that I saw your screenshot: the hands display must be larger and visually different than the action bar. It is more important and it is something completely different. One possibility would be to make the left and right item appear together on one big connected brass plate (sticking out from the border from the bottom).

Also, if you plan to show only the current clonk (in full size), perhaps you should think about moving a (larger) version of the clonk's title graphic directly above the tube display. After all, the display of the currently selected clonk belongs to the HUD of the currently selected clonk (thus, the lower HUD), not the player HUD (the upper HUD). But not only for this reason it should be moved to the bottom but also because this forms a nice regular shape together with the hands display to the right. See the attached image for what I mean - the white border.