Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Basic control concept

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to PeterW

> Inventory merge / direct access

Sounds like the right direction. Would it make sense to have adjacent/opposing items to automatically map to left/right hand? That way you could set up "kits" in your backpack that you can swap in and out fast.

> - We lost a most intuitive interaction button

I'm not convinced the mouse should be used for interaction. After all, we have to restrict interaction closely around the Clonk (or implement - eww - pathfinding). That seems like the wrong task for the mouse.

And while current items might not use the second mouse button enough, this could well change.

> - Players have to keep track of their current "Hand Setup" (the combination of items)
> - Inventory functionality is more complicated (e.g. swapping hands)

The player is free to just not use one slot, to get the same complexity and utility as with your single-wield solution. That's actually how I imagined this working: Leave the right-hand slot with some background functionality (shield, digging, whatever), and do most work with the left-hand slot.