Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Harvesting: Sickles and swords

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Clonkonaut
I will again try to talk you out of this. Here are several reasons for not having the sword doing this:

- counterintuitive: No one would expect the sword to do this. People would keep asking why the clonk don't use sickles which makes much more sense.
- non-realistic: I don't think anyone of us ever tried to cut wheat. But as far as I know your proposal is not possible in a decent way in real-life. Scythes and sickles are designed to actually cut the stalks without bending or breaking them. A heavy sword slashing at it would result in either no cut at all or a mess of broken stalks.
- imbalanced: A sword is a weapon. Let's keep it that way, seriously. There is no need to invent new awkward uses for the sword. Weapons are produced in the armory. Thus you would need to construct a whole new building just to get the sword.
- fiddly: The axe is very good example that mixing weapons and other uses is very bad. I will see to remove the attack from the axe at all. I've seen many people now accidently attacking other clonks when they actually wanted to cut down something.
- getting the wrong idea: mixing functionalities is, again, a bad idea. The berrybush is a very good example of irritating game behaviour. By showing a reaction to the doings of the player, you will confuse him. I have seen several people now, hacking at berrybushes with the axe because they thought this is the proper way only because the thing shows a reaction to hacking. You will hand out mixed signals to the player: sword -> does damage + sword -> harvest stuff. This will lead to players trying to slash at random things which at some point may result in a very bad reaction (like the simple disappearing of berrybushes)

I can't understand why you insist on this :I If the only real argument is really "the player will need a new tool" then consider this:
We aim for peaceful settlement scenarios. If the player wants to harvest something he will need a new tool regardless of which way (sword, sickle) we introduce. The sword of course will end up in the need of a new building but I don't want to stress on this. I want to stress on the fact that it doesn't make any difference because both things are in this case single-purposed tools!