Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Further thoughts on inventory and controls

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Clonkonaut
To quickly sum up what I discussed with boni just now:

Opening a menu on a mouse button (in a game) feels a bit awkward to me. Whereas opening it on a keyboard button is fine. Personally, I'd prefer having the menu on Q (or rather: hold Q and move the mouse on the icon you want to have, release Q to execute). It's not that important that my keyboard hand moves a finger. Leaving the movement buttons is fine because I don't need movement when I want to interact with stuff.
The problem with RMB is that this button is always mentally connected with the mouse position. We could easily have any button on the keyboard refer to the mouse position but the urge to do so is far stronger with the mouse buttons. By 'just' opening a menu on this button we rob ourselves of the great possibility to do something position related with this button.

It doesn't necessarily need to be another item based event. What about an object info? I rightclick on my buildings in the landscape to get the current energy and damage status. We always struggled to come up with a good solution on how to inform the player about stuff in a subtle way and always ended up with uncontrollable and spameous GUI flashings.