Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic OC, ready to hit the American market?

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Saiodin

>Unfortunately the engine does not currently support what is needed here.
>much work would need to be done reworking the character models to work in such a system.
>Another related missing feature is the ability to load multiple .mesh files in the same .ocd
>I have been planning for a while now to add things like suits of armour and deep diver gear

So it's not really important to do more player models/textures right now. Imo a pre-defined character customization option is not satisfying. It feels like this MMOs where you have 3 heros and can change their hair colors, but in the end all look the same. The difference for other skins/clonks in CR and predecessors was that all the clonks were different. The different look was 'just' to see that their different. Since the current Clonk is much more versatile only because of the different system there is no need for special clonks. Except for the possibility that there would be a change, but I'm pretty sure you aimed for a more versatile from the very start. I suggest pushing the games features and possibilities and decide this later on.
But when it's possible:

>I assume the point of clothes being a pre-defined character customization option, because I cannot really see players caring much about spending resources dressing up their clonks. I could be wrong, but it seems unlikely to me.

In general I would love it. And I think a lot of players feel the same, making their Clonk unique. Though I see what you mean with "ressources". That's something I hadn't in mind when I posted this: The possibilty that it's not worth it.

There are two things I could think of. The first one would really be a global system like I had it in mind earlier. Your clonk looks like you dressed him - in every game. You change it in the game main menu, not in the "matches" itself. Different systems could provide things to change appearance:

1. Everything to customize your clonk is accessable from the very start
2. You need to build something in the game to unlock it
3. You get it as reward for doing achievements

The second system would be that it is more RPG-like and different clothes give you bonuses for the different tools or the clonk himself. That would change the gameplay, but since the Clonk is more versatile now I think that is manageable.

But like I said earlier this is something you can think of later on, when it's in general possible and when there's the time for something like this. The core game needs to be pushed more. And I know that there are different opinions, but when I see the game it needs better graphics and effects. I already saw the shadows thread and the possible glowing effects (lava). I think the game material needs to look a little bit different as well and I think it looks a little bit awkward to have the 2D materials and the 3D objects. "Right now" the 3D objects don't feel like an improvement contrary to the 2D objects (beside of the fact that you can zoom in without getting pixel all over the place. But I heard that will be very probably hardly restricted). I know that making the landscape kinda 3D wouldn't be really possible, cause of the voxels. But I think that look needs to be different. Regarding the possible clothes for Clonks I would surely do a lot of assets. I started the thread about the imo better fitting cartoon look and I'm right now learning and trying to give the game (buildings for now I should say) this look. A bit off topic, but well.