Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic [Material] Overhauled material textures (experimental)

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Newton
I don't find them too fitting actually. The baked "height" doesn't look too much like it has anything to do with the actual texture (see f.e. rock texture). Generally, I agree with PeterW that we shouldn't try to bake (even more) 3d-ness into the textures but long-term rather go with normal maps instead.

PeterW is already creating the prerequisites for enabling such a lightning, not saying that he will ever find the time to do it, but as a prospect we can already research in the direction on how to create good normal maps and give him something to experiment with. In the past we (or at least I) tried various "normal map" plugins for GIMP etc. but the result often turned out somewhat awkward. The proper way to create normal maps is not to create it from the color map, but model it.

So this is where your C4D skills could come in. With some diligence, you could try to model all the rocks and cracks, crooked pieces, holes and raisings of a few textures and as a result bake a normal map out of it. Of course, the mesh would be put into our resources-repository then so that it can be refined or changed later. The normal map is just the outcome which will be committed in the standard repository.

But beware, this is a work that needs to be done very meticulously as it is really all about quality with normal maps, normal maps tend to look pretty shitty when not done perfectly. I see here that you already tried to model the heights according to the texture. However, this is really far too rough and blurred to look convincing.
So as I said, I think it would be quite a challenge to model such a map. But if you are ready to take it, I would be very glad. :-)