Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic [Tutorial] Howto create Normalmaps

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Newton
Nice. But uff, whats up with your English?

Care to put that into the wiki? http://wiki.openclonk.org/w/ArtistsGuide#Modelling
I´d like to add some more info about creating the normal map (and correct some spelling mistakes).

You see that the Nvidea tool does not do a good job here. The final door looks somewhat dirty and rough - compared to the original high poly model.
E.g. the nails taken from the bump map appear in the normal map in a wrong shape: Not as round bumps, but as pits (with round bumps in it). I have a bit of experience on how to make a normal map look better.

However, already the "bump map" you show here is not really a bump map how it should look. A correct bump map would normally show the height of the pixels (height map: the lighter the higher) which yours does not - exactly where it comes to the nails: Even the borders of the nails would have to be lighter.

You rendered it with front light. But I think there must be something like a "render heightmap option" oder even "render normalmap" option in a modern modelling program, no?
Edit: k, see henry