Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Game lags only for laggy clients?

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Zapper
Chat messages were just one example that belong to one of their game-states.

But generally, the overhead of being able to create a game-state delta packet against the last-acknowledged state means that the server would rather keep past states in memory (which obviously increases the packet size of later updates) instead of rather keeping UDP-packets around to be able to re-send them on request.

Yes, the requirements in Clonk are very different: in Quake a client obviously receives game-state-updates as opposed to controls. That's partly why a client is really not interested in past game-states to have a synchronized simulation.

But I still got from that article that even in a high-fps & low-latency environment like a FPS it does not matter much whether the UDP packets are now 5B or 100B - completely independant of chat-messages.

PS: and I'd believe that Clonk currently uses more the very small (<5B?) packets?