Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Discussion: Lobby Improvements

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to ala
I got recently a PN from Gio (known Clonk Rage player) sharing some ideas about the lobby with me.

He stated that basically the lobby as it is now encourages the players to always host the same scenarios. It's like you don't know how many players are online, and you just host some popular scenario. This behavior has been in Clonk since basically 2007 or earlier than the lobby emerged.

-One thing is: You don't know who is only, you can't plan. (players like me and Sven constantly check clonk.de - Zapper even wrote his own tool programm, cause he found the lobby so unhandy)
-You can't see which games get hosted once you joined a lobby
-But you must join a lobby, since there is no global chat. Communication doesn't work and #clonken never fulfilled it's goal.
-Another trend is: Experienced players will only join games, if already some friends opened or joined a game. With just a random opened game, mostly newbies will join - and that's not there aim. So here the solution as well is to host a popular level (with league), to get a higher chance of a good opponent.

---------------

So basically he made a few suggestions:
-Global player list (who is online?)
-a global Chat, with only players online - not #clonken where 50 idle persons are.
-A handy way to update the game list inside the lobby and outside clonk.

I personally think a lobby could be a sort of "tab", and you can easily switch back to the chat and the global games list (perhaps even with a sort of "highlite" if your friends host a game.

-Create a host list for scenarios. Like (Etagenkampf, Cofut, Kleines Handgemenge) - they are hosted after another, and the players are be automatically moved to the new lobby.
-public servers with preferences (like CServ), next scenario, /votekick and stuff like this.
-Working LZB

-Mark players which are loading a scenario, or don't have a object pack.

---------------

So in general, I think there is some truth in this. Coordination works horrible, we often have to join other lobbies and tell the players there, that the chat is in "this lobby". So a really big amount of player join a game, and just chat for eternity. Delaying the gaming often. A lot of players are also annoyed by this.

So I'm not the biggest gamer out there, and I wondered. How do other games do this? We chatted briefly in IRC and someone stated that Team Fortress does it better and Steam has a good system? What do you think?