Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Distinguishable icons for buldings

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Clonkonaut
This made me thinking and while my idea would also fit into a new thread, I leave it here for sake of context:
Why not replace the previews in the buildings menu by distinguishable icons (pictogram-style)? I mean something like this:

(I'd say you can already guess which icon stands for what building)
(we might go for circles...)

Two reasons made come up with this:
1. I don't want our designers be limited by the buildings menu. It's very hard to design a cool big object that's still easy to spot when displayed as a tiny icon.
2. I have played quite some games and still always need to check twice when selecting a building. This is linked to the first point: The building aren't designed to be distinguishable in the tiny menu! The more delicate structures we have, the more hard they are to spot.

We don't need anything like this for items though. These are made to be picture size already!