Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Conquer the Deep!

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Clonkonaut
Speaking of boats, we come to Vehicles!

I wasn't content with my first boat (First draft), so I thought of this design with a paddle-wheel. The prow is covered in metal and is the toughest part of the boat. Maybe two boats bump into each other?
The first draft had the cannon on its back which probably isn't that smart because you want to fire ahead. So this one comes with a front cannon.
The boat shouldn't drift like it did in CR. This was what I hated most about the sailboat back then!

Also redesigned from the first draft but I'm not sure which one I like better. This ones meant to be a big barrel with round metal plates at both ends. The design doesn't matter, really. What mattered to me was that you get a *compact*, small and handy sub. Not like the bulky one from CR. It should move quicker and maybe handle like the plane (I like the control of this).
The turnable, 360° cannon will make underwater battles or mining easier. It shoots anything but is best fitted with harpoons and torpedos!

The submarine does need air, otherwise you won't last long in there.

A buoy which floats around whereever you set it in the water. At the bottom there is a rope or chain or whatever that holds a container (that why I called it the underwater chest). You can use that just like the chest on land to stash your stuff. You can also grab the container and pull it up or down to fit your needs; it has a winch.

Submarines and/or buoyage could work as stationary air distributers!

Weaponry

Nothing much to say on the torpedo. It's the explosive at hand when in a sub! It attracted by metal objects and will steer towards them.
I fooled around with possible propulsion techniques. Like a screw at the end or like the last one of these which Matthi suggested. Or just your regular propeller.

Maikel(?) suggested that the torpedo might be the boompack. I'm not sure about that one!

I guess everyone has seen one of these sea mines: http://4eyes.code66.se/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/mine01.jpg
It waits there on the ground for any metal object to pass by above. As soon as the prey is detected, it detaches from the chain and rises up pretty fast, exploding on contact.
Attracts torpedos!

May be shot from the boat for deployment.

A depth charge. The main weapon you wanna have when on a boat and a submarine is nearby. Just scatter them into the water and they do the job. I made it look like a barrel with a cog wheel sticking out. The wheel might turn as it slowly sinks down like it's measuring the depth.
Also attracts torpedo, so a great defense against them!

This is like an underwater scooter. You hold on the handles and can travel very fast. It's also air-driven. I was thinking that on the middle axis you have your rotor blades and also two pipes that work like the Aeolipile where the air comes out.

For this and the bouy-chest a swimm-hold animation for the clonk would be nice.