Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Impressions and questions

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Clonkonaut
Hi there! And thanks for the feedback :)

> I have big problems getting used to the controls.

At first, I had some problems, too. But for me, after hours of playing, they resolved themselves. There is no way to change back to the old controls; as the game now heavily depends on the mouse and proper steering of the clonk, it would be nearly impossible to simulate anything close to the old controls. It is also undesirable, to maintain two different control styles. We had that in Clonk Rage and one or the other got often overlooked and if not, it was twice the effort.
You can set the movement controls back the numpad of course, if that's something more convenient to you. WASD just was the first choice at hand as many and more other games nowadays utilise these. The new controls are easier for anyone not coming from an older Clonk title. If you still got trouble, you might want to try Clonk Rage with the Jump'n'Run controls first. Transition from Clonk 4 to OC might be even harder since you left out 3 whole games!

> overall graphics style

We are currently in the process of a graphics overhaul that will hopefully lead to more contrast in textures. It wasn't ready for the current release though and the people responsible haven't given any live sign since a couple of month ago.
I agree on what you said about the menu backgrounds.

> Did I just not find it, or was the leveling system completly dropped?

It is dropped. Again a maintenance thing. With Clonk Rage, online play in Clonk became more and more popular. But in order to play online, you had to do several hours of offline playing in order to get your clonk(s) to full health and being able to climb. Without climbing, your clonks often remained useless in competitive play. Also, cheating was a bit of a problem as you could easily edit your clonk's profile. Thus in CR the fair crew button was introduced. Activating it always gave every player the same characteristics for the clonks, making competitive games far better. Soon afterwards, progression in climbing skills was abandoned as this was a huge drawbacks for any newcomer and veteran player as well. As soon as all of your 'good' clonks were depleted, you were left with the useless ones.
Training your clonks became more and more of an offline feature and less important.