Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic [Music] The Skylands (formerly Skylands)

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to ala
While listening I really was unsure about the third chord segment.

A, C, D, A <- good
A, C, D, A <- good
A, G, D, A <- the first A here again. I always think "oh.. again"
A, F, G, A <- good

Well, the problem is - the theme is so dominant, that it's probably hard to make a good alteration. At least I didn't manage, although I tried like 20 minutes :/. So it's probably rather difficult.

As for the arrangement, the groove is very good - very funky. The flute synth also works well. But I'm also not too hot about the keyboard: It fills in as a successor to the main-theme melody, but it only plays rhythmical notes - I think that's what the others probably think is "missing", a bit more melody.
If you use more notes, that are not chord tones, but scale tones (scale is I think A-mixolydian) - or more jumps (like in your main melody you start with a forth - this gives a strong character, and immediately sticks), the melody becomes more distinct.

If you want some creative input:
For sky stuff I always liked this effect (beginning 5 seconds), with the circulating strings. (also here in Kung-Fu-Panda). This is with strings, but it should also work with flutes and synths ;).

Hm, but maybe this will turn out too big as an effect. (but perhaps it's possible to make a "small flutter". Can maybe already be created with 3 voices - from a chord, every voice starting from another chord note). Well it's only an idea, if you want I can hack you the flutter-thing in midi, I got the full score somewhere.

Well, I'm not sure how much my feedback is helping here, for music I'm always told my thoughts are too complicated.