Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic [Soundtrack] Triggerscripts

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to ala
Hi,

I already gave Maikel some infos a while back, but haven't received an answer - so here we go with a thread.

I'm back on working on the soundtrack at least for the next 3-4 weeks. I hope I can finish the second segment of compositions in this time, also I'll start recording Flute, Guitar and bassoon for the first segment soon. So we'll get a lot closer to good sounding music :) - but it's still a long way.

It's time to get the music on the right place in-game, I need a programmer now.

-- I divided the settlement part in 12 trigger points: The plan is to have 2 tracks for every theme at the end.

-- Landscapes
1x Sky (Traveling)
1x Mountain (Rope Swinging)
0x Temperate
1x Lakes / Small Water (Whispering Waters)
2x Underwater (Pearl Diving, Amongst Sea Life)
2x Underground (The Spelunker, Dim Lighted Cavern)
2x Very Deep (Volcanic Flow, Secret Passage)

-- Weather
1x Snow (Finding Shelter)
0x Rain
2x Night (Nightwalk, Cheesy Moon)

-- Position
1x Home / Base (Building A Cabin)
1x Away from Home / Base (Return Of The Backpacker)

Currently I cover 9 of the 12 themes, with currently 12 tracks. 24 tracks would be needed to cover everything two times. Also K-Pones music could fit into this concept, at least the sky and the islands track.

----------------------

Here are the feature-wishes:

Some small improvements:

-First, no lag between track switching like in CR. I think this has already been fixed somewhere.
-Fading between tracks.

The big thing will be:
-A script which can recognize the landscape and can trigger music in one of those points. For this every song should get a category, but perhaps some songs could fit for several categories. So if someone programs this keep that in mind.

Transition between tracks:
If the trigger points is recognized we can work on smooth transitions, for example: You go inside a cave and the current track, which plays gets softer each step you get deeper into the cave. Only after it faded out the cave track starts. This will happen very fast, in a couple of seconds. But it's important to not have those hard cuts. If a track ends in this transition period of course we could start the new one without anything of that.

Jumping between tracks back and forth:
Imagine you have to clonks and switch between them.. we could use the fade thing. But one thing that would happen quickly is that we would hear the starts of the songs far more often than the end. So we would need the possibility to jump in the middle of a track, so we avoid over-repetition for beginnings.
Most of the tracks have optional intros, and could - in case of jumping back and forth - start after the intro. Also every track is divided in at least 3 parts (most are divided in around 5 parts).
If scripting this is possible I could make versions of the song which start in the middle.

-------------

If this is all possible we should really get a very good game atmosphere. I hope someone picks this up - the music alone is useless without proper implantation.