Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Material Shading

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to PeterW
I was actually experimenting with an implementation of this initially. However, it would have been iffy - we obviously cannot emulate it by messing with the normals, as that would mean that light coming from the opposite direction would over-saturate the "shadow". Basically, I knew that it would make things complicated going into dynamic lights, so I skipped it.

In any case, the CPU can't pre-calculate the shadows. I would have to be done on the GPU - so for example we could use the light normal at a point and test a few steps into its direction to see whether we find a higher-placement material. Might work, but will have some probably strange-looking side-effects such as single pixels casting shadows at a distance, plus even more advanced craziness when more than one light is in play.