Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic QuickShift: an alternative

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Maikel
Even though the current controls are a big improvement we can think about some more fine-tuning. As Zapper already mentioned in his spotlight video the only thing which is worse compared to the old controls is quickly switching between items, e.g. from sword to shield. I currently see three important use cases for quick switching:
* from sword to shield
* from throwing or shooting to windbag (increase the speed of a projectile)
* from throwing to tele glove (throw an item and move it to where you want)

Currently the quick switch always switches to the previously selected item which you can then use. I am a fan of the throw + windbag combo and instead of quick switch I always press the number key of the windbag instead of Q (quick switch). This is sufficient for throwing, but to slow for the bow or javelins typically.

Therefore I propose Q to do the following: with Q + # key you can select your quick switch slot quickly (set it to the shield on a respawn for example). Then pressing Q switches to the selected slot and uses that item directly. So after the switch Q acts as the left mouse button effectively. This way I imagine you can switch and use much more quickly and reliably.

Opinions? Disadvantages? Anything unclear?