Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic new texture set (as interim solution until new models)

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Newton
That everything is so brown is not the main problem in the picture. (One) main problem is that every element seeks attention through a high level of detail and uniqueness. That makes it look cluttered and unpleasant.

The solution cannot be to give unique colors to every element. Arguing with the credo that unimportant elements should stand out less than important elements, I would still count buildings to the unimportant elements: As with the material textures, buildings should actually stand out less then elements such as clonks or animals. I do not think anyone would not spot an elevator or any other building in Marky's mockup even if it was exactly the same color as earth because through their large structure alone they stand out from the earth enough that they are visible. Or in other words: The building models alone provide enough detail that they are well visible, it is overkill to make them stand out through their color as well - they already stand out from the landscape.

I do not find it necessary to have a high landscape/building contrast. I do find it more important to have a uniform look and if building-wood and earth have the same saturation, that looks good. Different colors - not only brown - are fine. After all, we have different colors in materials too - blue, red, orange, green, red, pink etc. But they have in common a certain "pastel" saturation. This saturation, not necessarily the hue of the earth-brown, should be shared by everything that the landscape is compromised of - materials, buildings and vegetation.
Right now when I play the game with the new textures, I always feel that I mutilate (verschandeln) the pleasant landscape when I construct buildings and mine stuff in it. That is because the buildings look like they do not belong into the landscape, like a foreign body (Fremdkörper). Color plays a key role in that.

Only Clonks, animals, items and vehicles (in that order) need to stand out, they can have more unique looks. The rest should be uniform and thus pleasant to look at.

tl;dr: landscape elements (buildings, vegetation, materials) should share the same "pastel" color palette to make the landscape feel coherent and look pleasant. Only small moving objects should stand out.

Edit: I extended the text a bit