Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic [Project] Mechnisms and Mechanization

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Newton
I find the idea very cool.

However, this will be as successful at it will be practical. It should be extremely easy to build mechanisms that immediately become useful. I think for simplicity's sake, you should pass on the gates altogether for the first versions as well as most sensors. I think the best approach would be to first think of applications ("What to build") and only then decide if you need more sensors or more specialized actors for that.

>  * Combine a sensor which can distinguish between mutliple raw materials (gold, ore, rock etc), and build a autmated sorting machine.

Useful in theory, but after all, most raw material goes into the foundry anyway. Plus, somehow your raw material has to get to the sorting machine. Whether you carry them there or to their proper destination does not really make a difference since the place where you mine always changes. It is not worth it to build up a stationary infrastructure to transport the material from your mine to the nearest production building. (Why build a sorting machine when you can simply build another foundry in your new mine?)

>  * Flood your crops if they start to burn.

Not useful. You could simply have your crops always slightly in water. But in reality, who cares for that?

>  * Reinforce the entrance to your base by setting up some nasty traps.

Not useful in a clonk melee. Your enemy will just dig around it and perhaps even steal the weapon that was intended for the trap.

>  * Build an airlock for your underwater base.

Yeah, cool

>  * Be notified when a volcano erupts.

Not really useful, the volcano can erupt anywhere

>  * Catch Wipfs in selfmade traps.

Not really useful as just catching them will be faster.