Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Windmill Open Beta

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to ClonkGeist

>Whoa, this long "configuration process" with wall after wall of text makes the whole thing feel like OC editing is a super complex thing. :-(

This whole process is more or less beta stuff, we aim to make many things much more clearer than they are now, but this process takes time.

>A player selection dialog? A simple checkbox seemed to be sufficient in the old editor, but well, fair enough.

Why not? Its not really like its that much work, but it fits much better with the interface and it clearly sets player for the devmode and gamemode, which otherwise wouldn't be clear. (Why should I change my players in the devmode, when I want to play a normal network game)

>Resource Safe Mode

It is meant for example if you want Windmill to scout for games in the background. (Everything else should be unloaded and take no more resources)

>OpenClonk manager

Afair it should be explained in the configuration process. But this is still only a half-implemented feature which is more an idea, because it would need more support from OpenClonk itself. The idea is, that you can manage multiple versions of OpenClonk (stable, snapshot, ...) and easily play scenario X using one of these versions, or if you're switching from developing on the current snapshot to the stable version to join a network game etc.

>But when I want to edit a Scenario.txt, it just shows "loading Objects.ocd" for eternity.

This is definitely a bug and we would be thankful if you could give us the logfiles with the error.

>It feels over-engineered at places and feels as if you first have to "learn" how to use this program before you can just start editing.

As stated above (and multiple times in posts, the configuration process etc.), that's why we made this beta public. So we can work on this kind of feedback and make the whole process much more self-explainable. (But to be honest, I never felt that an IDE has absolutely no learning process though.)

>I think it would have been better if you did not try to make Windmill into everything (right from the beginning) - An editor, a IDE and a player's frontend - but instead focused on one thing and got early feedback from the community.

This was and is the main aim for Windmill though - to merge all those loose tools which you can get here and there into one thing, because all those searching can be a nerve wracking process especially for newbies.

I don't say that you're wrong with what you said, many things are true for Windmill in it's current state, but this is also the point. Many things, especially the configuration process which was quickly written for beta use (so it is not too time consuming), still need more work on those sharp edges, but its there so people can test it and make this process faster. While I'm still thankful for your feedback, I unfortunately have to say that this kind of feedback is exactly that kind of feedback, we feared the whole time and the reason why we would have rather delayed a public version much longer. (until everything gets more refined)