Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Dmyst is done with OC

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Dmyst
O.K. since none of you seems to get what I'm talking about let me write it in more detail:

The reason clonk was popular(ish) at least in germany wasn't that the game was absolutely awesome it was a just a good game. It was different than the rest what made it interesting. What made it awesome was the community that added in everything that was missing with the core game. When the core game got boring players were able to play something out of the many user created content. What made this possible was that it was very easy to create content for it. It's the same reason Starcraft, Warcraft 3, Half Life and Half Life 2 got so very popular. And you don't even need to make a fancy editor to make that possible, just a simple page with the games content and some description and links to some tutorials would be enough in the beginning.  But you basically need to be a full on gamedev and need hours to just find out on how to create content for OC. When you place so many hurdles in the players way, they won't do shit. You need a core game that attracts players and you need content to be created easily for it. You already have a big handicap by choosing something as unknown as clonk.

Not realizing this and making me spell it out is pretty bad. If you like the game the way it is and you have fun doing things the way you do them, then by all means continue. I can see that you have put a lot of work in this game and that is very commendable, but players don't care how much work you put in a game. The only thing that counts is if it is fun to play and if it is fun to play long term.