Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic [Project] Codename: Modern Combat

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Michael14
I must say, I love how everything that is a gun in Open Clonk uses the same 'I stuff invisible ammo into the front part of my barrel'-animation, thats too goddamn funny ='D

Your firearms mechanics look really similiar to what we whould have in mind, really interesting!
The important part is to add a random value to accuracy to mimic weapon handling and add tactical decisions to be made, but having that same value be completely controlable through the actions of the player so you dont feel cheated by it.

Bullet speed was on our radar in development a long time ago before we noticed Clonk Rage's performance issues handling those - CMC Rage for instance then switched to 'hit scan' so every rifle bullet will instantly hit its mark.
That change proved to be good as performance was saved and players seemed to be more satisfied with shooting as good aim and weapon control was rewarded with accurate hits, also the difference wasnt as big as expected as most firefights are arround close combat.
If Open Clonk turns out to be more reliable when 10 players use machine guns at the same time, surely real physical bullets with certain speeds whould be great to have, though we whould have to be really careful to not make it too frustrating to hit something.

There are also other features to further make balancing possible and give more tactical choices, like giving bullets the ability to hit multiple targets before disappearing, having them loose damage points after a certain amount of distance or going through certain walls which normal clonks and objects cant pass through (like a metal fence for instance). The first two options are in use in CMC Rage so we already got years of gameplay to back up their usefulness so tests in Open Clonk should show similiar effects.

Your debug accuracy indicator is basically CMC Rage's default crosshair =D
It whould be interesting to test if that whould still be the best way to indicate weapon information in Open Clonk or if a animated cursor like this whould be better (or maybe a mix of both):

* Default cursor (spread indicated by arrows)
* Progress cursor (reloading gun, selecting item etc.)
* Hit indicator for enemy living
* Hit indicator for enemy object