Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Gamepad controls default

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Luchs
Hi and welcome to OpenClonk :)

Thanks for the proposal. Did you look at the current state of gamepad support in the 8.1 release? I think it's already pretty similar to what you're proposing. Not sure whether it works with your Logitech controller without additional configuration, though. I'm working with an Xbox 360 controller and a Steam controller, which both appear as Xinput devices.

>We cannot count on having the Back, Start, and Mode buttons on all gamepads.

I'm aiming for Xbox controllers as the baseline, as that is the most common feature set. Players with controllers with less keys will have to reconfigure their controls. That said, these buttons are a bad fit for anything gameplay-related as they're rather hard to reach.

>For the right analog stick, which is used for aiming and looking around in this layout, I think that a cursor should only appear when that stick has been moved from its initial position.

I believe this is in the current release already, too. The cursor appears once you move the stick or you start using an item that needs aiming.

>Menus can be controlled using the left analog stick or the D-pad, where the A button is used to select or "click" and the B button is used to go back to the previous screen.

This is the biggest thing that's still missing in the release: There's no way to control in-game menus. In any case, we'll need something more sophisticated at least for the inventory menu. Otherwise, there's no way for the gamepad controls to be competitive with the mouse.

>I would love to hear some feedback on what could be improved in this drawing

You're missing some important controls: jumping (W on the keyboard), rolling (S on the keyboard), zooming (Ctrl+Scroll with keyboard/mouse - I guess this could be a chord on the controller as well). The back and start buttons could be used for scoreboard (Tab on the keyboard) and the game menu (F on the keyboard).

In the release, I think I swapped prev/next Clonk and item switching compared to your proposal. Switching items is a lot more important than switching Clonks and I think the shoulder buttons are more accessible than the D-pad.