Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Ambitions / Future of OC?

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Marky
Developing fan projects is at the moment not a huge thing, because the community is small, but even to me some of the original concepts are not clear (more on that later). Anyway, the game itself is kind of a self-contained micro cosmos where everything is tailored towards the OpenClonk objects, for example all the libraries that make up the Clonk and its controls. Back to the fan creations: These seem to come in several flavors, ranging from "new object/scenario that expands the original gameplay", such as the expansion packs in CR, to "separate game that just happens to use the same engine". The expansions obviously try to make content that is compatible with the Objects.ocd content, or at least they build on its infrastructure. For separate games the infrastructure is useful, but sometimes the code structure seems too confining in some places (e.g. Clonk with lots of assumptions and built-in effects regarding the animations, mapping skins to player settings, etc.).
At times I even want to just build the engine from the ground up as a new project, using the existing code as reference - which is not a rant or something I have a plan how to approach, but this game and its predecessors are one of the coolest and most influencing games for me and a huge part of my life. In the current state it seems like the burden of adding small expansions here and there made the engine and the game content "convoluted". Well, maybe this should actually be a different topic. Would such a project even make sense as a fork or something on the main repository? Should I create a topic "OC the next mega cool version" ^^?

Anyway, what I am saying is: this game is cool, I am fond of the community, and I want to break up some crusts. Obviously, it seems more like a dream than something to become reality soon. Ideally I'd want to use the infrastructure that we have here, because it feels a lot better than just "going rogue" and developing something on my own. What do you all think about that?

Update:
Maybe it also makes sense to simply make things that do not suit the Clonk style gameplay in a different game engine actually (as Tyron did), but that would also be a bit disappointing.