Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Ambitions / Future of OC?

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Marky
Doing a separate post here, because this focusses on a different subject: What kind of expansions/genres do we want to support? In previous versions of the game we had:
- Adventure scenarios and RPGs, stealth games
  * these work well with the engine, but do not need most of its features.
  * they are really popular.
  * these would benefit from buildings that can be entered. We had a concept how to do that before, and I'd like to implement the viewport objects. What keeps me from adding this: I need help how to add a new viewport as a (C++)-object to the game.
- Side-scrolling shooters or action games, platformers
  * CR really had a lot of these, and they still seem popular now.
  * This comes obviously from the very roots of Clonk, because that is what the first ever games were, and base building was added in later.
- more exotic games
  * hex-strategy, or isometric view, board games (chess?). Some of these were implemented in CR, but I would not add more support to them then there already is (they are possible, but there is no special support for them)

Those are mainly games types that I started libraries for. Is anything missing? Also, the adventure and shooter games tie in well with the engine, but usually it would make more sense to implement those in a different engine, because few of them use the mining/landscape changing feature of Clonk games.