Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic switching script language

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to MastroLindo
the point is that c4s developed being a really really easy and simple language, and then developed in time (arrays, and so on).

If you would also introduce oop inside it, it would be almost equivalent to any scripter language out there. If you know it, it would damned easy to learn languages like python or ruby. If you have to plan something for a wide community, you could consider making the effort to switch to a general language script easier than a lot of people that already knows it to switch to c4s. All the goto and timers structure makes thing harder, not easier for a general programmer imho.
And yes, c4s is fine and has already a lot that it is needed (apart oop), but as i said, I don't see a lot of reasons why keep developing a specific scripting language when there are huge projects already done, with a large community supporting their users. Switching to python/ruby or similar would just make it more maintanable in the long run..

Anyway if you look at the actual state of things, I agree that c4s is enough and that is anyway easy. Just had this idea because i introduced clonk to a friend of mine that is in the gaming industry since 3/4 years (worked for codemasters, sega, and now crytek) told me that in his opinion a general scripting language was a clever choice for many reasons, and I just answered him that c4s was developed since a lot of years and now it was used because ppl got used to it.

But this motivation can be put in discussion if you think about a brand new title, so that's the reason I started the discussion... Anyway I am quite confident that any c4s developer could switch to a python interface in a couple of days of study.... not such a big effort... at least speaking for myself of course..