Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Use the GPU

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Maddin
As some may know that the processing power of modern videocards is really impressive and it can be used for non-visual stuff for a while now, so why shouldn't we make use of that?

Nvidia shows it with their PhysX-Physics-Engine (which, of course, only works on Nvidia-GPUs ;-) ) and there are some other examples as well I think. So GPU-processed Physics has been talked quite a while about now; here's my question: Couldn't Open Clonk have GPU processed physics? Wheren't you annoyed by the lag that occured, when you set huge amounts of water free? Could we have more advanced Physics in Clonk?
Here is a Techdemo from Nvidia, which shows GPU-based realistic water rendering:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYIPg8TEMmU
Note that according to Nvidia this techdemo is renderd on their new Fermi-GPU, which is a shader-monster (Shader-Units are used for this processing). But also note that these are huge amounts of 3D-particles, and we have only 2D.

Of course it would require some work on such a little GPU-water-physics-engine and i totally don't have any skills on that area but I think it's worth a try?

Edit: Another disadvantage I want to cover really quick is that not all the people of today have a graphicscard with good shaders and their computer's CPU might do even better than the GPU. To solve this problem, the old CPU water-physics could be kept for those people, who might be not a minority. Cool feature anyway. :p