Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic [Models] Bottles

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Matthias
Hi! While I actually like the graphics of your bottles, I want to introduce a different idea of health- (and maybe mana-, but thats another discussion) -regeneration items.

First of all: The feeling of "magic items" in the game.
As I feel it, the overall style of clonk is a setting of crooked science, as opposed to a fantasy style. So it doesn't feel right if there is something "perfect" like a drink in a perfectly shaped glass bottle that auto-magically restores your health points - why wouldn't our clonks also use magic to create perfect advanced machines, tools and weapons..?

I think it'd fit better into the setting if the ways of health generation were more plump - like eating bread and drinking from Flasks.

Secondly, the implementation:
Yes, we've all seen bread before, but this time, it should be different:
We should under no circumstances adapt the old fantasy potions healing effect or - even worse - that of the old knights bread. Those two items didn't really heal you - they gave you an extra life in every situation imaginable! I don't think I have to explain further why we don't want effects like those in everyday items in the standard game.

Let's instead have a look at the hazards medikit: There, the amount of healing depends on how long you are able to use it unhindered, and while using it, you are also rendered defenseless.

This healing effect forces you to time the use of healing items wisely.  If I want to restore much health during a fight, I need to get myself into a position where I won't be bothered by enemies for a few seconds. It could be adapted for eating/drinking fittingly: Using the item would make you sit down, and you only gain health as long as you don't cancel.