Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic [Concept] "(Magic) baloon"

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to AlteredARMOR
After spending some time thinking over the (magic) baloon design I came up with the idea of abandoning the "parachute concept".

Just think of it for a while.
- If we have a parachute like the one that was used in Worms series, it would look somewhat weird but realistic. You jump, open up your parachute and float further down safely, not bothering yourself about actual height. When you land on the ground the parachute vanishes (which was acceptable for Worms) and you can move further on.
- Now we have a (magic) baloon instead of a parachute. Alright, we carry a hollow "piece-of-rubber" in our hands, then jump from the cliff, then... what then, actually? Quickly inflate the baloon with the power of your lungs? You would be dead long before you make your first three blows. Carry a pump with you? Ridiculous. Inflate the (magic) magic baloon using magic?.. Since I pose myself against any magic in Open Clonk I find this solution inacceptable (I suppose we should rather think of some engineering solutions of floating problem - and any problem in general as well - leaving some "magic aproach" only as a last resort). What happens when you land on the ground? Deflate the balloon? Let it go? Pop it? Too many questions and definitely too little realism.
- The first solution to all these problems that I came up with was about making a balloon uninflatable/unpoppable/indestructible. You cary it in your hands and use only when you jump, but...

Then I had (at least, I thought it was) a brilliant idea. I would not spend my words describing it - lets take a look at the picture:
[img]magic_baloon_first_render.png[/img]
As you can see, now we have a wearable object which is used permanently while it is put on. (We have not agreed on a concept of wearable objects yet but it would be used the same as divers helmet, body armor and other similar things). From the moment the clonk puts on this bizarre backpack the gravity for him is slightly reduced allowing to make long&high leaps and float down slowly. We can even think of some animation for baloons hiding inside the backpack and revealing out of it...

Need some feedback (hope you like this idea).

P.S. If this concept is aproved after all (which I would like greately) then we would have to suspend its discussion until better time (since we agreed to abandon the idea of implementing wearable objects in the first OC release). Thus it should be removed from the TODO list.