Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic c4u Update System

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Newton
I think I know much less about the whole update infrastructure than you think I do.

First of all, what does the masterserver have to do with the current version? Did I understand correctly:
The masterserver is asked for the current version number by the client, which in turn first checks the update-directory if there is a newer version available (or reads some curr_version.txt) and then gives the newest version number to the client. Then, if the clonk client doesn't have the most current version, it itself puts the current version number in the query string (and because of that we have these %d%d%d in the config for the update server) and executes (=downloads) it. The downloaded c4u will then be executed. Is this correct?

But what C4U files do have to be on the server exactly (What is UpdateEngine, UpdateObjects, UpdateMajor)? If I got the version 4.10.0.1 [023] and the newest is 4.10.1.2 [001], what package(s) will exactly be queried? Is it all the same from which version one client comes when it comes to updating to a version? In many games, the immediate updates need to be executed first before updating to the last. At least, many updates are specificly for "from version X to version Y". How is it in Clonk?

Also, on the creation of c4u packages, how does this work? (Not technically, but how to create it and from what to create it)

(And what is this puncheraddress?)