Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Idea: Accessible Buildings

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to PeterW

> I don't see why you feel this is necessary. Why can't a door be useful in combat too?

Well, the base design I would envision would contain lots and lots of doors, just to make barriers and choke points for enemy invasions. For that to actually work, doors must work automatically - otherwise running around the castle will be an endless "open door, close door, open door, close door". Which will quickly lead to everyone leaving the doors open, making them mostly ineffective.

It's the semantics I want to get at: the priorities of doors are in-door use and convenience while still having some passive defense, while drawbridges are made for siege situations in places you don't plan to frequent much.

> Okay. That's just a little modification. What about horizontal extension?

Uhm, the same? As in you have to be in front of the castle to extend it? Did you propose something else? (I would speak even more strongly against it, btw.)

> Well, you say it isn't fun. I beg to differ. Therefore your argument is invalid.

Which one? That I feel nosy castles aren't fun? Or that I think that the technical possibility argument isn't relevant here? This feels like making the argument over a strawman discussion another strawman discussion. I find this rather tiring.

How about we discuss instead whether or not these kinds of castles are fun? I can compile a list of the top of my head:
* It's unnatural. Yes, realism arguments aren't the strongest in the world, but I don't think castles should look like broadcasting towers by default. And they probably will if we encourage this too much, as going up is the cheapest security you can have in Clonk.
* Another looks issue: The new castle part looks pretty isolated. It's not organic growth to me.
* You can actually "over-build" another castle this way. I really want to kill this element, we should fix airships instead.
* It makes for awkward decisions in the "can you shoot through fundaments?" department.

In my mind, that's enough to not only discourage, but actually outright forbid this kind of castle building. But I guess there won't be much backing for that... :)