Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic c4u Update System

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Günther
Well, I'd definitely want to be able to recall broken versions. Experience tells us that the update mechanism will get broken by a change eventually.

The maintenance burden is minimal, the main cost is time and space on the computer producing the updates. To create a cumulative update, you simply have to run c4group for every supported old version with the same update file name. That's easily automatable. (We should probably look into changing this so that one can create an update with source A and B and target C into an update with source A, B and C and target D. That way we wouldn't need to keep the old versions around.) The bigger problem with updates is that you have to compile the engines and move them to the computer producing the update, or move the packed object files to the computer compiling the engine. That's some coordination work. I think matthes manually started the scripts compiling the engine on windows and mac computers, and then the script producing the updates on a dedicated linux server.

So we already have people writing scripts to automatically compile and publish the game. Anyone of you willing to extend that to create .c4us?