Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic c4u Update System

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Newton

> Well, I'd definitely want to be able to recall broken versions. Experience tells us that the update mechanism will get broken by a change eventually.

If always the newest build is loaded, this is fulfilled, right? A more intelligent update structure can be designed in the masterserver code after the initial change (without pressure of time because of an upcoming release) that takes this into account.

> Rest

Yeah, that sounds pretty intelligent/advanced. I want to stress that I am of the opinion that the development of such automatic scripts/update logic in the masterserver should definitely come after the change from update logic in the engine -> update logic in the masterserver and not be done at the same time. The update system is a critical system which should 100% work for every immediate development step.
Regarding the issue that the compiled engine/content needs to be moved to the computer producing the update: Why can't the script that outputs the different update packages not be on the same machine as it was compiled? I mean, these would probably only be some batch/bash scripts calling c4group.

> So we already have people writing scripts to automatically compile and publish the game

Do we? You mean CKs(+Isilkors?) nightly builds?