Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Lava glowing
1 2 Previous Next
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-12-17 16:48
Pretty!
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2010-12-17 17:04 Edited 2010-12-17 17:09
Well, it wouldn't be harder than the shading stuff I currently do. Actually, it'd be a very similar preprocessing step. The problem is that I'm running out of colour channels to pass preprocessed data in. Right now I have:
1) texture index
2) normal (X component)
3) normal (Y component)

For shadows, I'd need another component. And glowing would obviously require another one - or two, if we want to support multiple materials with glow effect.

So I fear by that point, I'd have to have two landscape textures. I guess that's not the end of the world, but I don't want to go overboard here too quickly.

Plus: Would you want that glow effect over objects? From a technical point of view, that would obviously be a very different issue.
Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2010-12-17 17:49
well, in that photomanipulation, it the glov goes over objects (as you can see on the moving bricks). i think it would be nice if the glow goes over objects. i guess it would better, but i see that that could cause a lot of more work. maybe it would be enough if the glow is over objects, but not stopped by them, as in the picture.
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2010-12-18 12:14
It would require a second render pass to go over objects. And additionally, accessing the target texture for some object blocking (could just make it blocked if there's a high contrast in the pixels below.
Parent - - By Carli [de] Date 2010-12-21 10:46
wow.

easy implementation but cool effect.
A simple light bleeding would do this for us.
We only need a second offscreen map "glow factor"

Edit: would be easy for deferred shading
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-12-21 13:56
What is light bleeding?
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-12-21 15:15
I googled it, but I don't think that the results are actually adequate to what Carli was talking about...
Parent - By Carli [de] Date 2010-12-30 13:12
sorry, i ment glow filter.

- mark in an extra back buffer, which parts of the image are glowing (lava, lamps, areas)
- blur the back buffer
- multiply the front buffer with (1+backbuffer/3)
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Lava glowing
1 2 Previous Next