Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [COLLECTION][Model] Material Models
1 2 3 Previous Next
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-12 22:23
I think the loam should be a bit more saturated. It's colour is too similar to the earth chunks I think, it will be difficult to tell if an object is loam or earth unless zoomed in closely.
- - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-12 21:30
Ok, people, I've finished modelling the basic stuff. But there are still several important moments left:

1) if I forgot something please remind me as soon as possible;
2) before you start arguing please consider this issue (there hasn't been any discussion yet);
3) there are some models postscripted with monospace text which would be improved as soon I get any ideas of how it can be done;
4) if there are images you don't like (aside from those postscripted with monospace text) feel free to post any suggestions about their improvent (actual help will be highly appreciated);
5) I myself have some additional materials in mind, but I will my ideas later in a respective forum board;
6) If someone already implemented any of theese, please renew the images (clear the cache, renew the thread, download latest images and reimplement them) because I've done a lot of modifications lately;
7) last but not least: I would also like to hear an answer on this question of mine, because I feel like adding some more images (at least 2 for each material, actually).

Thanks.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-12 21:43 Edited 2010-02-12 21:46

>If someone already implemented any of theese, please renew the images ... because I've done a lot of modifications lately;

Mmkay, will do when I get home.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-13 01:15
Could you also add the .blend models into the resources repository while you are at it?
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-13 03:20 Edited 2010-02-13 09:12
From my calculations, that would take me about 15 minutes to upload. :( Might be faster if someone without a fisher-price modem uploaded those .blends.

Nevermind, I got a good connection for now.
- - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-17 12:22
By the way, there is a very nice texture of a flint here :

It would be nice have it here (IF it is a texture - not just a rendered image modification) so it can be properly applied to the flint model (NOT a rock model).
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-17 12:38
I committed it into the resources repository. It uses B_Es meteor as a base, the rest is done with GIMP. But we can of course replace or modify the shape of the meteor a bit so that it is more distinct (in shape) from the meteor / add some different shapes. Just gimme some different renderings of B_Es meteor and I'll do it.

Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-17 12:49
Well, B_E's "meteor" was actually a rock from my post (see the resemblance? :-). He just tweaked material a bit to transform it into a meteor. what I'm suggesting is to take flint model and apply the same modifications as were done to the rock (thus flint will not LOOK like a rock)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-17 13:12
No offence but I dont like your flint model at all. Could you perhaps model some more different rock shapes and tweak it to transform it into a meteor? Then I'll transform them into differently shaped flints.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-17 13:37 Edited 2010-02-17 14:08
When I made flint model I thought about some volcanic product which was compressed with high pressure into a stable form. So it preserves its ability to explode but does not explode accidentially (Take snow for instance: you can not construct a stable object from it until you pack it into compact (and yeah, spherical) shape - the same can somehow be applied to flint as well).
So that's it for spherical flint...

Now we proceed to the edgy one.
Texture (oh, no, this is not a texture :-< ) looks good (I'd say, perfect) on it with all theese cracks highlighted by a raggy shape - not an effect (I can say) that could be achieved if the shape is round. The problem is: flint has a natural (hopefully undoubtfull) origin thus it should come in several different shapes (I plan on making 5 of them).

So, why do I say all of that?
Lets keep the current placeh... no, this is already not a placeholder but a full-value flint most of people (including me) would like to see in game... so lets keep it for now. When time comes there will be more "rocky" shapes to which this texture (ah... again, this is not a texture in the full sense of the word) can be applied.

P.S. Besides, I do not like my flint model either (comparing to most of the other models) so I'm always open for suggestions. In the end - this is what OpenSource is for.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-17 14:20

>The problem is: flint has a natural (hopefully undoubtfull) origin thus it should come in several different shapes (I plan on making 5 of them).

I fear we were talking at cross-purposes. Its' no problem because we can have some different shaped flints. Just render a few additional rocks and give them to me. I'll then edit them in GIMP into flints and commit them.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-17 15:15 Edited 2010-02-17 15:17

> I'll then edit them in GIMP into flints and commit them

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear :-). Unfortunately right now I do not have enough time to create additional rocks (maybe in few days) so lets keep the current rock-flint for now.
- - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-17 21:27 Edited 2010-02-17 21:29
Ok. I've done modelling all of the basic materials and making 5 rendered images for each (I insistently recommend to clear the cache once again). So now we are extremely close for successfully finishing this topic for good. If there are any suggestions or remarks concerning current models (I know there will be) feel free to post them here (as you did earlier).

As for gold: Do not like the color - there is a lot of work to do yet but I need any comments on how it should actually look.
As for flints: I will create a separate topic for them later.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, comments and actual help. Don't forget to check this topic as well.

P.S. Last but not least: could someone commit all of this stuff to the resources repository?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-17 22:30

>could someone commit all of this stuff to the resources repository?

I won't be able to, it will take me hours. :(

However, my crappy connection doesn't stop me from implementing all these materials (into the actual game).
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-18 08:11
I think, implementing is more important anyway :-) (so you are lucky with your connection)
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-18 09:11
I didn't have time to work on this tonight... got sidetracked making a grass environment object. I'll try to implement these sometime soon.
- - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-27 16:32
Here are the workpieces for flint stones:

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Attachment: flint-1.blend (530k)
Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2010-02-27 16:52
awesome ore-pieces
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-27 17:01
As long as the "flint texture" is going to be applied to these, it does not actually matters how they currently look
- By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-28 16:17
Alright. Just to avoid further recognition problems :-)

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [COLLECTION][Model] Material Models
1 2 3 Previous Next