Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / General / OCEdit - OpenClonk Object Editor
- - By THeClonKaR [de] Date 2011-01-31 21:26
Hello guys,
i have something you might interested in.

Me and a friend are working on a nice editor for Clonk. The editor comes with all functions you will need for scripting.
One of the most interesting features is that the editor imports the latest C4Script documentation from this page, and fills it into an IntelliSense like system
which automatically shows you the parameters, what they do and what the function does.
Also integrated is a documentation browser, which shows you all informations about functions and anything you find in the reference.

OCEdit is not only a script editor. You can edit all types of files you need for objects like DefCores, ActMaps, ... with an integrated GUI for easier
editing. Syntax highlighting is also integrated for all kinds of files.

What else can OCEdit? Enough for you. It replaces the old Editor.exe from Clonk Rage.
You can modify .c4d-files and browse through them like it was possible with Rage´s Editor.

Current progress: We are working on it. It´s done when it´s done. But the basics are working and the documentation is loaded correctly.
You get the latest news here in this thread.

But if your not happy with it tell us your wishes and we try to implement it in further versions.
We want to make a powerful editor, which helps you developing your objects to make Clonk better than it ever was!

Any questions? Ask them! Any suggestions? Tell them us!
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-01-31 21:44

>Any questions? Ask them! Any suggestions? Tell them us!

I don't want to sound too negative, but isn't that basically the eclipse editor? :)
http://wiki.openclonk.org/w/Developing_Content_with_Eclipse
http://clonkforge.net/pr.php?pr=944
Parent - - By THeClonKaR [de] Date 2011-01-31 22:18 Edited 2011-01-31 23:04
Not really...
OCEdit offers some graphial editors for ActMaps, DefCore-files, ... like the WinForms designer in Visual Studio.
You also can edit those files in code with syntax highlighting.

You needn´t to use it, but who wants it, can get it.
We´re implementing all things you want. I don´t listed all functions, only the important ones.
Parent - - By Gurkenglas [de] Date 2011-01-31 22:23
Why dont you and Mortimer work together on c4dt? It was developed pretty far and i dont think graphical editors for the .txts would be impossible :I
Concurrence is only good in capitalism :<
Parent - By THeClonKaR [de] Date 2011-01-31 22:42
I don´t know other editors. Sure its possible to create an visual editor.
For such simple files it´s more than easy ;)
Parent - - By THeClonKaR [de] Date 2011-02-02 15:35
Something i would be interested in, is a Visual Studio plugin or more a CLR Extension.
But with C4Script i think it´s impossible. Using .Net for Clonk ... that would be awesome!
Parent - - By bahamada [de] Date 2011-02-02 16:38
I would prefer Brainfuck... This would bring the awesomeness of Clonk to a whole new level. ;)
Parent - - By THeClonKaR [de] Date 2011-02-02 17:00
Ähm ... no :D

But it´s maybe not impossible to implement .Net functionallity to Clonk. This would bring Clonk to a new level.
You could do so much things with .Net.
It would be possible to make an ORPG with MySQL-databases and such things (as sample) ... nice idea.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-02-02 17:34
C4Script is a very, very, very mighty scripting language already.
The lack of databases is nothing that could not be solved in C4Script, too :P

PS: You already have some "databases", since you can store information in the player files. But right now I can't think of anything that would need real SQL databases :)
Parent - - By bahamada [de] Date 2011-02-02 17:48
Sorry for the sarcasm ;)

To make the point... .Net is a Framework that provides several libraries for a wide area of usage for example as you mentioned a SQL driver...
You can development with/for .Net with several languages (e.g. Java, C#, VB, F#, C and so on)

So what could be the usage of the .Net framework for OC? The most of the libraries there wouldn't make sence in the context of Clonk.

In OC we have already something like a framework, some of the libs are implemented in the engine, some are in the System.c4g? (Not sure about this but the engine devs should know that in detail)

So to I just try to guess what you meant:

You want to script with a language (e.g. C#) that belongs to the .Net framework.
Basically I think thats a good idea... The other side is that there are many language constructs that needed to implemented by the interpreter and therefore it would be too much overhead, but basically that would be a great thing.

What I also dislike is the syntax of the C4Script, but thats only my personal opinion. Coding style, conventions and syntax can be a very subjective thing.

So without going to far offtopic. A good starting point would be to make the interpreter generic, so that in future OC can be extended with other interpreters for other languages. In Java this is relaized with this.
Parent - - By THeClonKaR [de] Date 2011-02-03 13:48
Yes i agree, the C4Script syntax is horrible.

It would be great if it´s possible to script with C#. Such things like constructor, destructor or custom operators and so on
would be helpful. And i think, that Clonk is one of the worlds best games, because the gameplay is expandable without an end and it
never gets boring.

C# isn´t much Overhead. But the whole functions would be helpful for scripting ;)
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2011-02-03 14:20
Sorry, to use any other script language than C4Script for the OpenClonk project at this point of development is completely out of question. If you want to be constructive, you could start a topic in which you make suggestions what to improve about the C4Script language.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-02-03 17:08

>It would be great if it´s possible to script with C#.

What if I now said, that the C#-syntax is horrible? ;)
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2011-02-02 19:38 Edited 2011-02-04 20:34
func EvalBrainfuck(string code) {
  var len = GetLength(code);
  var pos = 0;
  var band = CreateArray();
  var ptr = 0;
  while(p < len) {
    var c = GetChar(code, ptr);
         if(c == 43) { ++band[ptr]; }
    else if(c == 45) { --band[ptr]; }
    else if(c == 60) { ++ptr; }
    else if(c == 62) { if(ptr > 0) --ptr;}
    else if(c == 91) {
      if(band[ptr]) {
        var depth = 0;
        while(depth >= 0) {
          c = GetChar(code, ++ptr)
          if(c == 91) ++depth;
          else if(c == 93) --depth;
        }
      }
      ++ptr;
    } else if(c == 93) {
      if(band[ptr]) {
        var depth = 0;
        while(depth >= 0) {
          c = GetChar(code, --ptr)
          if(c == 91) ++depth;
          else if(c == 93) --depth;
        }
      }
      ++ptr;
    }
  }
  return band;
}
Parent - - By bahamada [de] Date 2011-02-02 19:53 Edited 2011-02-02 19:59
Awesome...

Maybe we should ask Günther to integrate this in the engine :P

Edit:
Note: If your are able to master brainfuck maybe then you also be able to find the cake...
Parent - By Profpatsch [de] Date 2011-02-03 13:41
That....that can't be !!!1eins!

I thought the cake is a lie? :'(((

xD
Up Topic General / General / OCEdit - OpenClonk Object Editor