Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / General / Pixeljunk Shooter
- - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-03-01 21:27
For those interested: PixelJunk Shooter, a more modern game with variable landscape, even fluid simulation. Just mentioning it because I tried to reference it a few times, but didn't remember its name until I happened across the announcement of a successor.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-03-01 21:50
Duh, that looks pretty much like a polygon landscape, don't you think?

The fluid simulation is more or less standard water simulation based on particles I think.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-03-01 22:48

>Duh, that looks pretty much like a polygon landscape, don't you think?

gogo implement yours! :)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-03-01 23:55
Well, first I have to reference them. Till 3 hours ago, I thought that polygon landscape + destructible has not been done yet.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-03-02 07:05
Does Phun count? You can cut pieces out of polygons and stuff at runtime (though it causes a momentary lag).

Was meaning to mention this to you, but I completely forgot.
Parent - By MrBeast [de] Date 2011-03-02 07:13
There is neither an landscape nor it is really destructable.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-03-02 14:31
Not really, because 1. it's not really a game (not so strong argument) and 2. it's destructible in a different sense of the word: You can remove and add only full polygons, you can't "bite off" pieces of one polygon.
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2011-03-02 15:38

>2.

Yes, you can. Phun as the normal 'biting' tool, and in it's successor, you can even create swords for example and cut things into pieces.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-03-04 17:26
I downloaded the demo and indeed, I can paint and erase material. But where are the other features you mentioned?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-03-04 21:29
The 'cutting' of materials is only available in the commercial version, Algodoo. :/
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-03-04 21:40
Yes, downloaded that. Where?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-03-05 04:40
There's a laser tool as I recall. You can attach it to a polygon and bind it to a key to activate.

I'm not sure of the specifics, though. I only remember doing it before.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2011-03-05 12:55
But it doesn't cut the polygon, does it?
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2011-03-05 16:44
You may have to switch to expert mode. http://doppelklick.dyndns.org/Pics/Phun-Cut.png
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2011-03-02 10:03
Well, is the fluid simulation that "standard"? I think it looks very good and better then our fluid simultion... Perhaps we can get a bit of inspiration from their system.
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-03-02 11:02 Edited 2011-03-02 11:04
Particle-based fluids look good as long as they're gushing around. The problem is that they're lacking one of the most characteristic properties of water: That it can't be compressed. You notice that once you try to manipulate relatively static water bodies. Just try to build a proper pump in phun, you will know what I mean.

That's pretty much the reason why Clonk has two fluid systems as well: PXS for particle-based fluids (which we could probably adapt to behave more like these fluids), and the MassMover for large moving fluid bodies.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-03-02 10:54 Edited 2011-03-02 10:57
I'm actually pretty sure it isn't. It's probably the same as their fluids: particle based, just with static particles. And obviously heavy shader usage to make it all happen.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-03-02 14:38
What do you mean, the landscape is particle-based? Do you mean, analogous to what a landscape only consisting of objects with solid masks in clonk would look like? That would be quite odd, because I can see in the gameplay video that the holes blasted into those destructible zones are quite... round - so those "solid particles" would have to be very small that their removal produces a round hole.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-03-02 16:09
They don't have to be *that* small. You just need to use good interpolation - exactly what I'm trying to do with my shader. I would guess the graphics work by first rendering the particles as small round balls, then applying shaders to "extend" the border until neighbouring particles merge together to get a nice surface.

That would just make a lot of sense:
* they clearly use something similar to get the surface of the water to be lighter
* earth can be created from freezing particle-based lava - having earth as particles makes this a simple particle conversion
* they have to be able to render a full screen full of particles anyway

Note I'm not talking about the non-destructible parts of the landscape. Those *are* probably polygons.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2011-03-02 18:08

> Note I'm not talking about the non-destructible parts of the landscape. Those *are* probably polygons.

Ah.
Up Topic General / General / Pixeljunk Shooter