Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Request] Vital Graphics
- - By Günther [de] Date 2009-04-16 16:22
The gameplay and design questions are still not decided, but that does not have to stop us from collecting a first round of graphics. We probably will have do discard or replace some of them later, but we will have to discard or rewrite a lot of scripts and engine source code, too, so that's no excuse ;-)

The goal is to get to a playable game as fast as possible, because matthes wants openclonk to at least be visually different from CR from the outset, and because it is always easier to judge things in a working context.

So what do we need? At least a Clonk and a rock, a sky, some material textures, some replacements for stuff in the Graphics.c4g. OpenClonk will be able to zoom, so it would be good to have this stuff in larger resolutions available. Randrian already made a clonk and I think he'll let us have it, so that's one point of the list. Graphics for more objects are also welcome, of course, but we will always be able to add more later. These graphics do not have to be perfect, but a good first impression will help us attract more contributors and they'll show up on historical screenshots ;-)

Now the unavoidable legal part: This is an open source project, so you have to give everyone in the world permission to alter and redistribute your graphics, and be legally able to do so, which means in practice that the graphics have to be made by you. This means that somebody could use your graphic in ways you don't like, so you have to be okay with that! To do this, state in your post that you license your work under the ISC license, the CC-by or the CC-by-sa license, or some other free license of your choice. (But please consider one of the first three, is-this-license-fee-enough discussions are mindnumbing.) Later we'll probably require that every graphic has the same license, so you get to influence which one it'll be now.
Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-04-16 16:54
Model or rendered picture?
Parent - By Carli [de] Date 2009-04-16 16:56
i suggest rendered picture 'cause you can calculate cool shadows with a raytrace-shader
it also saves computation time
Parent - By Günther [de] Date 2009-04-16 17:22
Picture, preferably in a high resolution. It does not even have to be rendered. But while I can't promise that we'll add support to render models, it seems highly probable, so a model could be useful for later.
Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-04-16 17:38
Rock.
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2009-04-16 17:59
Hm.
What about something, that is not so round?
Parent - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-04-16 18:02
Rocks with sharpen edges are cheat.
Parent - By Newton [es] Date 2009-04-16 19:51 Edited 2009-04-16 20:51
How about a more natural shape and a more natural texture?

Edit: The texture barn has some good ones: http://texturebarn.headfirstdm.com/thumbnails.php?album=7&page=2
Parent - By Günther [de] Date 2009-04-17 00:45
Thanks. I fear that the detail is a little too fine and will get lost when scaled down, but it's unmistakably a Clonk Rock ;-)

And unfortunately it's really unavoidable: What license do you grant for that picture? You can use multiple ones if you don't want to choose one.
Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-04-17 10:02 Edited 2009-04-17 10:04
Other rock! - (c) Florian Graier
(and one version with less edges)
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2009-04-17 10:05
Hm. Better, but what about a more random shape? You took a cube and moved the vertices, right? And the second one looks a bit like a sofa cushion.
Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-04-17 10:10
I dunno how high the resolution must be, so the shape get lost more and more if you resize the image. Maybe first try this Ingame and then we make a fine-tuning if requested. And yes, cube with vertice hustling.
Parent - By Newton [es] Date 2009-04-17 20:37
64x54 should be OK. At least more than okay for a quick rock.
Parent - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-05-19 18:32
Rendering to include it Ingame (model will follow if requested)

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2009-04-18 22:22
Please add any information about the license used.
Parent - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-04-19 13:45
License: CC-BY
Parent - Date 2009-04-16 21:27
Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-04-17 11:07 Edited 2009-04-19 13:45
Simple as well.

License: CC-BY
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2009-04-18 22:22
Please add any information about the license used.
Parent - - By timi [de] Date 2009-04-18 10:59
Concerning skys: Maybe we should try movable cloud objects this time? I always loved the idea.
Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-04-18 11:13
As and object, or texture? Objects are principial ok, but in CR it lags a bit with more and more clouds...
Parent - By timi [de] Date 2009-04-18 11:25
Well, I've meant objects ("movable cloud objects"). Moving around in the direciton and with the speed of the wind, with different sizes, colors, shapes. A little bit like in "Divine Prophecy", but with today's possibilies. Technically, they could be similar to smoke.
Parent - - By Newton [es] Date 2009-04-18 15:41 Edited 2009-04-18 16:08
The idea could go further. The "sky" in 2D-Games should actually not be the view up into the sky but the view "into" the landscape. Normally, it consists of minimum of two layers: First the sky and in front of that the landscape. Examples: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. As you can see, it works especially good with mountains.

The layer in the back (the sky layer) should be always tileable in all directions whilst the other layers must be tilable on the X-axis. This is all already possible with the engine now except that it is not possible to specifiy that a parallax object should be looped on the X-axis. Plus, while skies can be saved in JPEG-format, graphics of objects can't, thats why it is a whole waste of memory to save photos of mountains. Regrettably, I think there is no image format that does lossy compression like JPEG but offers a alpha-channel as well.

Edit: OK, there are JPEG-formats which can do transparency:

1. JPEG 2000 - Library: OpenJPEG (BSDish)

2. JNG - Library: libmng (BSDish) requires libjpeg (BSDish), zlib (BSDish)

Parent - - By timi [de] Date 2009-04-18 15:51
Wow, the pictures look awesome! I'd love if clonk had kind of a "layer system" with more than 1 background layer (and possibly even foreground layers?). One could go as far and say that the gui/hud is the layer nearest to the screen. I'd like the hud to consist of objects written in C4Script, the system of CR is quite inflexible.
Parent - - By Newton [es] Date 2009-04-18 15:52 Edited 2009-04-18 17:21
There are already "layers" with parallaxity, no?

Edit: Actually, there are skies with landscape too. But the problem is, and this is my point, that they are not vertically tileable. Thus, the landscape may not be very high if one wants to use these skies.
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2009-04-19 09:06
Well parallaxity for "normal" objects (like trees which are a bit in the foreground, not the hud objects) should be a bit easier. They shouldn't be parallax from 0,0 but form there position in the landscape. Looking directly at the object should show it in its unshifted position. Perhaps also a maximum of parallax shift would be good, so you wouldn't have to much problems with parallax objects and different resolutions.
In the system like it is now it's very hard to make for example an forest with a couple of parallax trees in different layers.
Parent - By Newton [es] Date 2009-04-19 15:02
I am not sure: In any case, the trees roots will slide forth an back in the earth. Care to test that with the CR engine?
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2009-04-22 16:28

> some replacements for stuff in the Graphics.c4g

Matthes substantiated this: We need Loader*.jpg, GUIButton.png, GUIButtonDown.png, Startup*BG.png, StartupDlgPaper.png, StartupTabClip.png. I'll probably simply replace them by boring "programmer art" so that the artists can keep concentrating on the more important ingame stuff for the moment. But if anybody wants to take a shot at creating something that we can keep, feel free.
Parent - - By Newton [es] Date 2009-04-22 16:56
I want some menu screens painted with MSPaint, just for cool first-screenshots ;P
Parent - By Günther [de] Date 2009-04-23 14:57
Instead, you'll get professional art design done with the GNU Image Manipulation Program.
Parent - - By MrBeast [de] Date 2009-05-24 18:14
Ive made some simple Graphics.c4d replacements...

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Attachment: MoreGraphics.zip (78k)
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2009-05-24 21:18
I didn't actually intend for those placeholder graphics to be long-lasting, but okay...
Parent - - By Carli [de] Date 2009-05-25 08:57
actually? or did you mean currently?

Google Translator says: "Ich habe nicht die Absicht dieser Platzhalter für Grafiken zu lang anhaltenden, aber okay ..."
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2009-05-25 16:46
Actually is a fill-word. More like "eigentlich". Web translators are fucked up.
Parent - By Günther [de] Date 2009-05-25 17:50
Parent - By Carli [de] Date 2009-05-25 10:53
Parent - Date 2009-05-27 16:48
Parent - - By kevda [de] Date 2009-05-27 18:32
So we need graphics different from Clonk Rage? So could we use the old graphics from Clonk Endaveour? The old rock graphic looks quite better than the Clonk Rage Stone Graphic.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-05-27 18:47
We need graphics on which we have the copyright, more or less :)
Parent - - By Dragonclonk [de] Date 2009-05-28 18:42
I made a wood graphic. I think that is good in concept would fit. I have a homemade texture used. Upon request, I can give you a lighter or darker version of it. The model currently consists of 8 vertices. To me more would be available, I could make it more realistic. If bump maps for objects should be supported, I can make some realistic bumps.

License CC-BY
Parent - - By Piranha [de] Date 2009-05-28 19:37
Not bad :) But the right graphic is after my opinion too "fat" (too high). xD But it's really good that the object has just 8 polygons. But okay... a wood plank hasn't as many polygons as a rock or a gold nugget.
Parent - By Dragonclonk [de] Date 2009-05-28 19:44
First I made the wood deeper. But when it's so, clonks can collected them easier, I think.

Parent - By henry [de] Date 2009-05-30 16:21
O_o
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Request] Vital Graphics