Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / How to get rid of water?
- - By Anonymous [de] Date 2012-10-16 18:50
It's raining and raining and raining and everything is full of water. How do I get rid of it?
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-10-16 19:11
You could build pumps to pump the water out of your mine.
Parent - - By Anonymous [de] Date 2012-10-16 19:16
And where to? When the mines are full and I pump it out it will just flow down again...
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-16 19:23
Mh, in CR you could either pump it left or right out of the landscape or burry the end of the pipe with earth and the water would disappear. I am not sure, whether these tricks still work with OC, though :)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-10-16 19:37
If you can't pump it out of the scenario in that round, you'll have to take shelter underground sooner or later.
Parent - - By Thoradyn [de] Date 2012-10-19 20:46
being forced to take sehlter underground is quite annoying in my opinion. If you cant pump it out of the scenario (didnt tested it already) there should be another solution. The fact that your mines get flooded is not the bad thing, i really like it thought because you have to use a pump to get it out like in reality and it challenges you a bit more. But somewhere the water has to go.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-19 21:08
Parent - - By ala [nl] Date 2012-10-19 21:09
Shelter scenarios were quite popular in CR: 1, 2, 3
Parent - By Thoradyn [de] Date 2012-10-19 21:15
i know that shelter scenarios were popular. I dont have anything against shelter scenarios. But shelter scenarios should be shelter scenarios and normal scenarios should be normal scenarios. What i want to say: If you dont want to take shelter in a scenario, you shouldnt be forced to do so. shelter scenarios could be great, but you should be able to choose between shelter and non-shelter. In Clonk Planet you could choose for random maps if rain (or acid rain) is enabled or not.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-10-19 22:33
So the goldmine scenario does not have open borders? (Water doesn't flow out of the landscape)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-10-20 02:23
Hmm, works fine for me. This is something I would have seen as detrimental, because clouds don't spawn water, they only move it around. So if you spray all your water off the map, you are going to end up soon with no water left in the scenario. >_>

I suppose this could be fixed to have 'unlimited water' by checking the landscape and clouds for water, and if there is none in either, spontaneously add water to clouds.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-20 08:21

>This is something I would have seen as detrimental, because clouds don't spawn water, they only move it around.

They do? :o
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2012-10-20 08:33
Actually I made clouds spawn water as well if I remember correctly, that's why there is more water in Goldrush now, it's basically the only challenge.
Parent - - By Anonymous [de] Date 2012-10-20 08:58
Nothing against some bit of a challenge, but currently the water is just waaaay to much, IMHO.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2012-10-20 12:32
I will test this today and adjust the rain accordingly ;)
Parent - By Armin [de] Date 2013-01-27 14:10 Edited 2013-01-27 17:56
(As far as I can see this big water problem wasn't solved here.)
So the point is that natural water sources would be destroyed? Then create a new material like RainWater.ocm. Normal water (water.ocm) is placed/exists like always but the rainwater is handled by the clouds. Then you can also have a nice moat in front of a castle which won't dissapear and this water and other standart water source like seas won't dissapear, even when they break though a wall because of a flint and so on. Safely moving water + rain would be combined this way.
Parent - - By ala [nl] Date 2012-10-20 22:00
Worked for me with pumping the water out of the map, but the first line kit also fell out of the map :(. Is there a reason to leave the boarders eating objects even in OC?

I hereby license the file GoldminePump.png under the CC-BY license
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-10-20 23:37

>Is there a reason to leave the boarders eating objects even in OC?

I don't even like the idea of eating materials, tbh. I would totally support changing it so borders don't eat objects.
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-10-21 10:56
Depends... Doesn't make too much sense in skylands.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-10-20 02:18 Edited 2012-10-20 02:23
Clouds will evaporate water. Of course, a few minutes later they will pour it back down on your head.

Probably the best way is to just make a lake to dump all the water. This poses a bit of a problem in Goldrush, where the landscape is so small.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-10-20 11:23
What, really? So scenarios with too much rain (-> shelter or pumping out of landscape) are not possible any more? What if I pumped all the water that comes down via rain out of the landscape (w/ open borders), then at the end of the round, there will be no more rain and no more water?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-10-20 19:28
According to Maikel, he modified the clouds to keep spawning new water in Goldrush. However, clouds normally are a closed system: Clouds drop water, clouds pick it back up, repeat.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2012-10-20 19:36
The clouds spawn additional water if that is set in the scenario.
Parent - - By ala [nl] Date 2012-10-20 21:06
Are the clouds visible optically?
I didn't play much - because Rain lags on my system: But I didn't notice.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-21 00:26
They are visible - but they currently look more like background-fog
Parent - - By ala [nl] Date 2012-10-23 07:50
I always found KKennys clouds awesome, well the picture is not great - but you know it ;). Real thick particle clouds - and particle rain could look like normal rain, and it could come down together with real one: Honestly the current clonk rain is always just a small breeze (optically - not game play wise).
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2012-10-23 08:07
looks even more like fog. What we need is more defined clouds.
Parent - By KKenny [de] Date 2012-10-23 16:29
Actually I stole them from Zapper. *cough*
Parent - - By Gurkenglas [de] Date 2012-10-22 17:20
Couldn't he set it up so that any water that leaves the landscape through the border gets slowly refilled into the clouds?
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-10-22 19:42
He probably can't, but it is possible.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-10-23 08:09
It would be a lot easier to implement via script without engine changes.

1. Clouds check how much water they all contain, and how much landscape contains, at game start
2. Save that value for the scenario
3. Check at intervals if original value is less than current; if so, spontaneously spawn more water in clouds.

This would even allow some control over droughts/rainy seasons for the scenario designer. :D
Parent - By Thoradyn [de] Date 2012-10-20 17:14
thats in fact very interesting. I always had the illusion that it would become more and more water O.o
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / How to get rid of water?